Crescent Venus

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

jeff.stevens

Crescent Venus

Post by jeff.stevens »

I managed to take the time to observe Venus just before 4:00pm today, being fortunate enough to have some clear blue skies. By this time the planet was some 42 degrees above the south-southwest horizon.

To the unaided eye it looked a beautiful brilliant point of light. I set up a 70mm Bresser refractor, and spent some time switching between a 26mm and 12.4 mm eyepiece, giving 27x and 56x magnification respectively. The view of the thick crescent (35% illuminated disk) was particularly clear and sharp - I love observing the planet at that time of day, and approaching such an interesting phase. The lower power eyepiece just gave that slightly crisper view, with Venus sitting against a pale blue background; a stunning view.

Jeff.
Last edited by jeff.stevens on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coldfieldboundary

Post by coldfieldboundary »

thanks jeff

this reminds me to go for an observation one of this evenings, watching the very crescent venus from now on

the evening of March 21, the crescent venus shall be shrinked to 2 % , and 59 arcminutes in size!

:wink:
Thanks to the clear cold nights...
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Jeff
This is my third attempt to respond to your post - previous ones crashed out ? but this time you may be unlucky.
I agree with your Venus obs comments. I too managed to observe the Veiled Planet early evening yesterday, whilst preparing for a longish observing session. It was a great start but what followed was not so good.
After enjoying Venus, I experienced a series of problems (mostly self inflicted). I then limited my ambitions, but just when I was satisfactorily organised the clouds rushed in. Having gone to so much trouble I left things set up for an hour - the weather forecast had seemed to suggest clear skies here!!!! - only to dismantle my tackle just before the rain\sleet started.
Best of luck from Cliff
goodtime

Post by goodtime »

Hi all, rather than start a new Venus post I'll tack on my 2 pence here:

Venus is gorgeous tonight (I'm in Scotland halfway between Edinburgh and Glasgow), the best I've seen it for ages. Although its not dark yet, seeing is great and the unsteadyness in the atmosphere has settled down. The crescent is lovely, looking just like the moon at less than half-full. My C80ED with a 6mm Skywatcher wideangle eyepiece gives me 100x, if I had a longer focal length I'd be able to see if that is where women are from.

If anyone is undecided whether to drag the scope out for a look, please do so, you won't regret it.
Andrew
Eyes, binoculars, CubePro, AT72ED, EOS 20Da, DSI II Pro,

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
goodtime

Post by goodtime »

Well that didn't last long...
Andrew

jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Some clear skies this afternoon provided me with the opportunity to observe Venus at around 4:45pm. The crescent looks spectacular now, with the disk at 18% illumination and an apparent angular size of 46 arcseconds.

The crescent Moon looked equally beautiful, at around 45 degrees above the southwest horizon by 6:00pm - some noticeable Earthshine too.

Jeff.
goodtime

Post by goodtime »

I agree with Jeff, the crescent Venus is absolutely gorgeous. I have to glimpse it between cloud cover but it's well worth the wait. The moon is a pretty sight too but I haven't been able to get a good look, as soon as I turned my scope to it the clouds rolled in. :?

I have my scope set up in my house, looking out a SW facing window, it's great for inclement weather, though not so good for imaging...
Andrew

jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

goodtime wrote:...as soon as I turned my scope to it the clouds rolled in.
Yes, I've been nipping outside at intervals to take in the view, but a bank of cloud has just rolled over to spoil the view. Hopefully it will clear again soon.

I was observing Venus at 120x magnification this afternoon, although the crescent looked just as impressive at lower magnifications. That said, even without optical aid the view is very special too - maybe even more so in some ways; looking at that blazing beacon in the deepening twilight, with a crescent Moon to add to the occasion - magnificent.

Jeff.
Paul Freeman

Cresent Venus

Post by Paul Freeman »

I too was very impressed with the view I obtained when I looked at Venus with my 80mm 'scope last Friday, around 7:00pm. The magnification was about X40 and this was the clearest view I have had of this cresent phase of Venus. For once the seeing conditions were very good. The two (almost three) day old moon just beneath Venus was also a lovely sight.
Regards, Paul.
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Yes the Venusian - Cytherean crescent is now well visible even in supported 8x binoculars- but do not wait untill it gets dark as it is so bright then that all you can see is a brilliant blob. maf
Ian Lee

Post by Ian Lee »

I agree with all the previous posts! Managed to get a look on Sunday at around 18.00 hrs UT: it was a beautiful 18% illuminated crescent in my 70mm Bresser refractor on 35x and 70x at this time.
127 mm Maksutov
70 mm f10 Refractor
Coronado PST
10 x 50 Bins

Starry-eyed and laughing
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Are you Bresser SKYLUX-owners getting any astigmatism in your 'scopes? I get some in mine. :(
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Brian
I thnk you must have been very unlucky. My old Lidl 70mm refractor is still pretty good. A couple of years back I could see Cassini's division quite nicely when Saturn's Rings were more open using the Lidl scope.
Last year I got a 60mm X20 to X60 spotting scope from Aldi £24:99p. That was good value too. My brother in law who is a bird watcher got one of the Aldi spotting scopes, his bird-watching friends are amazed by the Aldi scope's performance. Aldi are selling them again this year - but the price has gone up to £25:99p. An increase of £1 not bad in view of the current credit crunch Skywatcher have put the price of their 80 mm APO refractors up from about £370 to £499. A good telescope of course probably not astigmatic but now a bit more expensive than Lidl's refractors.
Best of luck from Cliff
My Aldi spotting scope revealed the gap between the inner edge of Saturn's Ring B and the globe. I couldn't see the Crepe ring though !!!
Ian Lee

Post by Ian Lee »

Brian
The Bresser 70 mm refractor I have shows no astigmatism but not being an APO there is obviously some false colour. The major fault with this scope is the tripod which isn't as sturdy as I would like, though for around £50.00 it is excellent value for money.
127 mm Maksutov
70 mm f10 Refractor
Coronado PST
10 x 50 Bins

Starry-eyed and laughing
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

mike a feist wrote:Yes the Venusian - Cytherean crescent is now well visible...
Interesting, Mike. I hadn't realised that Cytherean was an adjective used when referring to Venus.

Brian - much the same as Cliff and Ian, I'm very pleased with the performance of the Bresser telescope. I've had some cracking views of Venus and the Moon with it. I bought it primarily as a cheap 'scope that I could put in the boot of the car and use at different locations, without having to worry too much about damaging it. It's certainly proved to be fairly robust, and equally well used. Superb for the money.

Jeff.