Crescent Moon

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

jeff.stevens

Crescent Moon

Post by jeff.stevens »

I spent some time earlier this evening looking at the crescent Moon. I'd been searching for it from around 6:00pm, using a 10x50 binocular, but couldn't quite detect the 1% illuminated crescent.

I decided to switch to my 25x100 binocular, to make things a little easier, and at 6:34pm I finally managed to detect the thin slither of the crescent at 13.5 degrees above the western horizon. Having found it in the 25x100, it took me until 6:45pm until I could detect it using a 10x50 binocular, and then by 6:55pm I could see it clearly with the unaided eye.

I found it a struggle to see any real detail, but it's still a fascinating sight seeing that ghostly slither of a crescent in the evening sky.

Jeff.
Last edited by jeff.stevens on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Post by Paul Sutherland »

Glad you saw it too, Jeff! I was in a side street in Putney chatting to an old friend when I caught sight of the Moon very low down at the end of the west-facing road. A combination of a steep ecliptic and a clear horizon allowed me to see the Moon younger than I've ever seen it before, 1.16 days old, apparently.

Paul
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Hello Paul, yes, it was a lovely sight to catch, especially as twilight deepened. It's definitely the youngest crescent I've ever managed to see before.

Interesting to see how many people report their observations to the CrescentMoonWatch website too.

All the best,

Jeff.
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

Well done Chaps. I would have liked to have seen, but too cloudy here.

Just in time for the start of Spring Moonwatch week.

Cheers
Kevin
Kevin Brown, SPA webmaster
My astro blogs.. iya2009.com | Practical Astronomy magazine
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi,
I also saw the very thin crescent moon Jeff, it was around 18.50 (I was looking towards the west waiting for the ISS/shuttle passes). The moon was just above a thin strip of low cloud that was sitting along the horizon.
Kevin, I was watching the BBC news this morning at around 09.00 and they were chatting about Moonwatch week (the SPA was mentioned for anyone wanting more information). Let's hope the weather is kind to us.
ATB
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

I've just been observing the crescent Moon tonight, using 70x mag. Beautiful!

And good news Dave, about the BBC mention of the SPA and Spring Moonwatch week. Thanks.

I'll check the site stats...

Cheers
Kevin
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

The crescent looks stunning this evening (29th March), as at 8:15pm. The magnitude 4.6 star epsilon Arietis is about 2.5 arcminutes from the lunar limb, and very clear to see (except it's not shown on my image below!).

Jeff.
Paul Sutherland
Site Admin

Post by Paul Sutherland »

That is a lovely photo, Jeff. Many congratulations.

Paul
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Thank you Paul. I'm not normally very successful in capturing hand-held digital images at the eyepiece, so I was reasonably pleased with this attempt - at the 26mm eyepiece of my reflector.

Although the image hasn't captured it, Earthshine was very noticeable this evening, with quite a bit of detail on the dark limb being visible. Aristarchus was quite prominent in the Earthshine.

Jeff.
KendalAstronomer

Post by KendalAstronomer »

I was giving taking a shot of the Moon a go tonight too, sadly my telescope turned into somewhat of a cloud machine. I got it pointed at the Moon, went back for the camera and by the time everything was lined up, a small finger of cloud from a larger bank had crept over the Moon, making it too blurry and dim. 90% of the sky seemed clear, so I switched the telescope round, focussed on Saturn, switched from a 25mm to a 9mm, refocused, got the camera again, lined up and noticed Saturn was rather dim. I initially put this down to bad focusing and made a few attempts to rectify it, then looked up and noticed there wasn't a star in the sky. :(

Nevertheless, got some snaps of a pretty bright ISS pass, though on a film camera that will require later processing...
Kevin Brown

Post by Kevin Brown »

Jeff,

Beautiful!

And also, just what I was trying to do tonight...

Exposure all wrong for me, however :( I will work out how to use this camera..

Cheers
Kevin
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Thanks Kevin. Good to see other images of the crescent. It was just nice to have some clear skies and the opportunity to study such a wonderful crescent last night. Let's hope the weather stays with us for the rest of the Moonwatch week.

Regards,

Jeff.
orson

Post by orson »

Great images, thanks for letting us see them. I managed to get a look at the moon from my study window. It was a little slip of a thing, a wonderful sight!
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Jeff and Kevin
Very nice pics of the Crescent Moon !
Kevin: re your concern about possible oer-exposure. Just a thought, not sure but it might be worth trying over-brightening your image in Paint shop Pro or whatever, to see if it will bring out the Earthshine.
Having to deal with some equipment problems myself I only looked at the Moon by unaided eye, but it looked very fine.
I made no effort to seriously observe the Venus conjunction previously either. However, late that afternoon the sky cleared very briefly and I got an interesting PST H-alpha view of the Sun. There was a fine prominence which looked even better a couple of days later.
Best of luck from Cliff
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi,
Two splendid shots there Jeff and Kevin (wish I could get my scope around to the front of the house, my back garden is facing east). I saw it whilst the sun was still up (it was behind a house) and the earthshine was visibe in my 11x80s. My last view of it was around 21.00 BST (before it disappeared behind the same house.) The earthshine really stood out.
ATB
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam