Mercury Visible

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Mercury Visible

Post by mike a feist »

Yes, yesterday evening after sunset located MERCURY just above Southwick Hill, to the west of my home. Saw from between about 2008-2014 using 8 x 42 monocular...sky bright - planet faint. Will get better! maf
jb1970

Post by jb1970 »

I'll try and see it if the sky clears. I find Mercury the hardest planet to spot so always find it rewarding when I do, even though there's no detail to see.

All the best
Jack
250px dob
127mm mak
8x42 Celestron
10x50 Helios
15x70 Celestron
Paul Freeman

Mercury

Post by Paul Freeman »

Thanks for that Mike; I'll have a go at finding it at the next available opportunity. I always regard Mercury as quite a challange.
Regards, Paul.
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Another target - but for the early riser - is now Jupiter. I saw it this morning (the first time this appartition) at 0615BST from the bedroom window using 7 x 42, against a bluish sky as a neat disc, but soon lost to red clouds of dawn. maf
orson

Post by orson »

I checked my stellarium, but Mercury doesn't seem to be visible at the moment from my location, which is west Wales. I was wondering if that would be right, as I've been having some problems with the stellarium recently. Any help would be appreciated as I would LOVE to get a glimpse of Mercury and the weather at the moment is fantastic.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Orson, it sounds like your location setting within Stellarium isn't quite right. The screenshot shown below has been taken using Stellarium, looking towards the West at 8:30pm on the 12th April 2009, as viewed from Aberystwyth (by way of an example). Mercury is about 8 degrees above the horizon at that time.

All the best,

Jeff.
orson

Post by orson »

Ha, ha, thought it was the stellarium playing up. Thanks for that, Jeff, with any luck I'll see Mercury this evening. :D
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Just managed to get a view of Mercury this evening. Picked it up towards the west-northwest horizon (about 8 degrees) at 8:25pm, using an 8x50 binocular. Followed it until it disappeared in some murky cloud, low on the horizon, at 8:50pm - viewed from an upstairs bedroom window at that stage though, as it was about 4.5 degrees in the west-northwest horizon.

I couldn't detect it with the unaided eye at any stage. However, my daughter, who was watching with me, was able to see it with the unaided eye at 8:45pm.

Jeff.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Another glimpse of Mercury this evening, between 8:25pm and 8:45pm. A little easier to spot this evening, and I managed to see it with the unaided eye by 8:40pm.

Jeff.
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

No further sighting of either planet from Sussex...................horrible weather here....thunderstorm with lots of lightning early this morning. maf
Col Man

Post by Col Man »

Hello Mercury Fans :)

I observed Mercury tonight from Leeds, just after sunset (about 20:40) until it got occulted by a chimney stack on a nearby house at about 21:20. The planet seemed quite bright and caused some chromatic aberration in my binocular telescope.
Last time i observed the planet it was to the east in the mornings with my 10x 18x and 28x binoculars. This time the planet was to the west and just above the houses on the opposite side of the street (but sadly not above the chimneys) as my top window faces that direction, i got to use my miyauchi saturn III's which go up to 150x.
i observed it at first using the 30x as it was hard to find as the sun had just set, after a good few minutes of scanning around i managed to find/see it and lock on it. Then i upped the magnification to 55x and finally 150x.
I couldnt see the planet at all with my normal eyes (ie without aid) yet it looked very bright through the miyuachis.

This leads me to a Mercury question.... : it seemed at 150x that Mercury had a chunk out of it, the top left from my view point, i.e. it was slightly crescent shaped, in phase, whatever the right term is for it. :) but i couldnt tell whether it was my eyes playing tricks as : a) its seems quite impossible to get the saturn III's to perfectly focus at 150x (very close but not perfect) and there was the chromatic aberration. so im asking any of you Mercury experts out there.. was it ''in phase/a bit of a crescent'' or was i imagining it?

im hoping the sky is clear tomorrow at the same time as then ill get my 12" lightbridge out and see if i can get a clearer view with that at a higher magnification...

:)
Last edited by Col Man on Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10x50 Opticron WA, 18x50 Canon IS, 28x110 Garrett Optical HD
Miyauchi Saturn III 30-150x100 :)
Meade Lightbridge 12" :D
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

I managed a glimpse of Mercury this evening too. It's getting easier to spot now.
Col Man wrote:...was it ''in phase/a bit of a crescent'' or was i imagining it?
Mercury's disk is currently 60% illuminated, so it would be showing a distinct phase at the kind of magnifications you're referring to. If you have access to planetarium software, such as Stellarium, then you can select and zoom in on the planet to see the current phase. The screenshot below shows the current phase of Mercury as at 19th April 2009.

Regards,

Jeff.
Col Man

Post by Col Man »

Thats great :D

so my eyes were not deceiving me and i was seeing the phase. im pleased about this because i saw venus in its crescent phase too in late march so thats both of the inferior planets seen like that now. :D

Will have to get my lightbridge positioned tomorrow and fingers crossed for clear skies at sunset and then i can get to see how it looks with my higher power eyepieces and barlows. :)

thank you jeff for that answer and double thank you for the Stellarium link..thats a great piece of software. :D
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Despite slight reddish murkiness low down last evening I managed again to locate Mercury (my 347th sighting!) and it was even easily visible to the unaided eye. In 8 x 42 monocular the planet looked rather orange in colour - presumably due to the pinky atmosphere. maf
Col Man

Post by Col Man »

sadly not much joy for me tonight... :( just a quick glimpse for a few seconds through low lying cloud..will try again tomorrow.....