Mercury Visible

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Paul Freeman

Mercury

Post by Paul Freeman »

Have at last seen Mercury this evening just before 9:00. I could not in all honesty say I saw any kind of phase through my 80mm scope. However, I did get a good view of Saturn with the rings almost edge on.
Regards, Paul.
billden

Post by billden »

Spotted Mercury tonight from my back garden (21.00 BST) with the unaided eye, luckily I have a fairly clear western horizon. I had to balance the scope on the garden table to get a view of it. I reckon I could detect a phase but the seeing was very difficult. I took a picture with the camera which to my surprise actually came out ok.
250mm Intelliscope dobsonian reflector F4.7
Celestron C9.25
HEQ5
10x50 Binoculars
20x100 Binoculars
Col Man

Post by Col Man »

yeah i could just make out mercury tonight for a moment in between 2 clouds with my unaided eyes, whereas last night i couldnt see it..seems its getting brighter everynight. :)
10x50 Opticron WA, 18x50 Canon IS, 28x110 Garrett Optical HD
Miyauchi Saturn III 30-150x100 :)
Meade Lightbridge 12" :D
HippyChippy

Post by HippyChippy »

Yipee, after several years of waiting I finally observed Mercury.

I was putting the scopes out to cool for much later on, scanned the horizon, and suddenly realised that Mercury might be 'on'. Checked with Starry Night and went outside (way too early as it happens) to have a look with my trusty Lidle Bresser bin's.

Wasn't sure how dark it had to get to spot it at -0.4, and after 40 minutes of sweeping the sky, Mercury would now be below 15 degrees and sinking fast as fast as my hopes. Then I picked it up in the bin's, and could see it with the unaided eye. It was only a pinpoint of light but it was so bright I wondered how I could have missed it only minutes before.

I worked up from visual to bin's then on to a warm ETX100, 5" reflector, and homemade 6" Dob and back again, and was relieved to confirm my phase observations too. The image grew pinker as it set into the murk, so I just visually observed and soaked it all in 'till my eyeballs wore out... and Mercury sped on.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Paul Freeman wrote:I could not in all honesty say I saw any kind of phase through my 80mm scope
I seem to recall trying to see the phase of Mercury in a similar scope, Paul, without success. I finally managed my first clear view of the phase when I had the opportunity to view through an 8" reflector at 120x magnification.
HippyChippy wrote:Yipee, after several years of waiting I finally observed Mercury.
Well done! I think it's always special to catch sight of Mercury, given the relatively few opportunities we have to observe it within a given year.

Weather permitting, we'll have the opportunity to see Mercury in the same binocular field of view as the slim crescent Moon on the 26th April. I believe Mercury is at greatest elongation then (its angular distance from the Sun is at its greatest), and will be approximately 17 degrees above the west-northwest horizon at the time of the example screenshot below.

All the best,

Jeff.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Jeff
Having had four observing\imaging nights on the trot I have seen Mercury while setting up my telescope. However, Mercury was very low down and I was not using a planetary scope so I did not observe it telescopically until last night. I am ashamed to say that I then observed Mercury telescopically by accident !
I had just set up my 203mm SCT on HEQ5 Pro intending to observe Saturn. After doing a one star alignment, instead of putting Saturn in the HEQ5 Handset I accidentally pressed enter on Mercury. So I observed a very low down Mercury at x100 - not a good view but I reckon I made it to be rather more than 50% phase.
Incidentally Saturn provided a terrible image.
Best wishes from Cliff
HippyChippy

Post by HippyChippy »

... I then observed Mercury telescopically by accident !

That's exactly the sort of thing that used to dishearten me in previous years, and of course spur me on for the next time :lol:

Regards.
jb1970

Post by jb1970 »

Just been out for a quick look with the 10x50's. There seems to be a patch of cloud just where I need to look. It will be too low soon so Will try again tomorrow.

All the best
Jack
250px dob
127mm mak
8x42 Celestron
10x50 Helios
15x70 Celestron
goodtime

Post by goodtime »

Hi all,

Yesterday, I managed to catch Mercury about an hour after sunset. I used a pair of Nikon 7x50 binoculars. It wasn't an easy find, I had scattered high altitude clouds in the distant west but finally managed to see Mercury in the gaps between. I'd like to say I could see a crescent but I also have an astigmatism and it tends to turn anything into a crescent... :roll:
Andrew
Eyes, binoculars, CubePro, AT72ED, EOS 20Da, DSI II Pro,

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

THursday evening 2035-2115 BST: Mercury again seen, in 8 x 42 binoculars, in amongst some wispy cloud...towards the end of the session when the sky was darker I picked up the Pleiades just up to the left of it but outside the same fov....they will soon get closer together so keep looking! maf
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Mike
Is it me missing something ? ------ Thursday ??????? Tomorrow????????
Best wishes from Cliff
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Whoops! Getting a bit aheah of myself there sorry...of course s/be wednesday. When you are (partly) retired all the days seem to run together. maf
stella

Post by stella »

If you observed at 20.35 U.T. on Wednesday and your message
is dated 8.46 on Wednesday, you are reporting an observation 11 hours
49 minutes in the future!
Or am I missing something?
:lol:
Col Man

Post by Col Man »

yeah the time here is in UT and mike reported in BST so he travelled forward in time only 10 hours and 49 mins (plus the day out) :D

i guess it should be tuesday then. :) but hey you never know with the power of time travel...oh to be a tachyon... :)

i hope that i get to see the Mercury Moon Pleiades conjunction and occultation on sunday night..been clouds here over the western horizon every night since i last posted.
10x50 Opticron WA, 18x50 Canon IS, 28x110 Garrett Optical HD
Miyauchi Saturn III 30-150x100 :)
Meade Lightbridge 12" :D
goodtime

Post by goodtime »

Sunday at 21:00 BST looks like it'll be the best time to try and capture all 3 in a single frame (M45, the moon and Mercury) since they'll fit in a 4° field (should look great in binoculars). A 135-200mm lens on your DSLR should do nicely. Later on (about 22:45) the moon will pass through M45 occulting some of the stars but it will only be 4° or so above the WNW horizon but if you have a clear shot it would be well worth the attempt to get an image.

That's assuming you can see anything at all...
Andrew
Eyes, binoculars, CubePro, AT72ED, EOS 20Da, DSI II Pro,

There's no place like 127.0.0.1