Mercury Visible

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

I had a good view of Mercury this evening, using an 8" reflector. I managed to catch it before it sank too low towards the horizon, and had some clear views of the 39% illuminated phase at 100x magnification.

I'd been trying to spot the very young crescent Moon too, which would have been about 0.74 days old, some 8 degrees above the west-northwest horizon by 8:30pm. Cloud cover just over that area of the horizon hampered the view for me though, and I wasn't successful. Be interesting to hear from anyone who was.

Regards,

Jeff.
Paul Freeman

Mercury

Post by Paul Freeman »

Excellent view of Mercury this evening around 9:30pm with the Pleiades just above and a little to the left. Lets hope it's clear tomorrow when hopefully we should see the cresent moon nearby. Like you Jeff I searched for it this evening but with no luck.
Regards, Paul.
HippyChippy

Post by HippyChippy »

Same here with the moon, though enjoyed picking up Mercury visually again - I've been trying every night since I first observed it :)

Fear tonight will be clouded out here, but ever hopeful eh?
Col Man

Post by Col Man »

weather report says clear skies for this evening :D

its very sunny and clear right now here in leeds and the clouds wont get here until tomorow morning.. :D
10x50 Opticron WA, 18x50 Canon IS, 28x110 Garrett Optical HD
Miyauchi Saturn III 30-150x100 :)
Meade Lightbridge 12" :D
Paul Freeman

Mercury

Post by Paul Freeman »

Stunning view of the Moon this evening with Mercury just below, and the Pleiades slightly above. This is one of the nicest astro. sights I have seen recently.
Regards, Paul.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

I thought I was going to miss this, but the clouds over the horizon cleared for a short time, and I had a beautiful view of the event. As you say, Paul, it looked stunning. At 8:55pm Mercury was visible very easily with the unaided eye, and the 4% illuminated crescent looked superb. The brighter stars of the Pleiades were showing in my 8x56 binocular too.

The cloud swept over again, partially blocking the view, shortly afterwards.

Regards,

Jeff.
jb1970

Post by jb1970 »

I managed to get a good look tonight from around 20:30 to 21:30 with only a slight wisp of cloud drifting across. I couldn't use my scope but the Moon, Mercury and M45 were great with my 10x50 bins. I managed to take a few pics too.

All the best
Jack
250px dob
127mm mak
8x42 Celestron
10x50 Helios
15x70 Celestron
antares6iron

Post by antares6iron »

Had a wonderful view of the crescent moon with earthshine illuminating the rest of it last night Sunday 26th..
It looked quite large being so low down and and the usual illusion of magnification through the atmosphere.
Just 2* below was the lovely bright Mercury with the Pleiades showing 1* above and to the left.
All was well telescope set up DSLR being piggy backed time 2100hrs BST
ready for pictures of conjunction and then.....DSLR battery died.
Ok hunt for the spare. At 2130 found spare but cloud cover over Mercury and Moon sinking very low.
Still able to see Pleiades but then.... a band of cloud quite wide and dark in just that very part of the sky drew the curtain Aaargh!!
A typical night of viewing and lost oppartunity but I will be doing it again, it's what I do,I am an amateur astronomer and I love it! :D

40th Anniversary of Apollo 10 Charlie Brown and Snoopy in orbit around the moon 22nd May 1969 on board one Eugene Cernan last man to walk on Moon
Various 'scopes 80mm to 254mm on goto and driven EQ mounts.A80M Vixen used as solarscope on Vixen Porta mount 15X70 Bino's RoRo Ob,Radio Meteor shack and weather station.. "Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself anymore."
Albert Einstein
orson

Post by orson »

I'm going crazy! I still haven't found Mercury, and it's really frustrating because the weather has been so good. I'll try again tonight.
orson

Post by orson »

orson wrote:I'm going crazy! I still haven't found Mercury, and it's really frustrating because the weather has been so good. I'll try again tonight.
Quoting myself here. I went out this evening with my binocs and SkyScout. This time I did it! I found Mercury! At first it was hidden behind a dark cloud - the rest of the sky was clear. I walked back towards my house in a very black mood. But after ten minutes I decided to try again, and this time I saw it. The big black cloud had vanished. FANTASTIC!!! I'm going to celebrate with a glass of whisky!!!!
orson

Post by orson »

A whisky, and a nice cigar!!!!
antares6iron

Post by antares6iron »

Well done Orson now you have done it once try again without the scout.

Mercury will stay in WNW around about 10* at 2100 BST just below Pleiades for the next 10 nights.

It is a great feeling when you actually find that which everyone else seemingly finds easy in the nightsky.

In the next few weeks there are a number of planetary views worth viewing but mostly early morning e.g on 21st May at 03.20UT crescent Moon with Venus below and a not to easy to see mag +1.2 Mars in the early morning light.

Mars is very low down in the Eastern sky..will probably need a 'scope to eyeball the red planet but the Moon and Venus should present a good photo chance!

Bet you enjoyed the whisky.. :D clear skies...
Various 'scopes 80mm to 254mm on goto and driven EQ mounts.A80M Vixen used as solarscope on Vixen Porta mount 15X70 Bino's RoRo Ob,Radio Meteor shack and weather station.. "Since the mathematicians have invaded the theory of relativity, I do not understand it myself anymore."
Albert Einstein
orson

Post by orson »

Thanks for that! I'll be looking out for Mars now. BTW I actually managed to see Mercury again last night without my binocs. My partner coulnd't see it with the unaided eye though.
orson

Post by orson »

orson wrote: coulnd't see it with the unaided eye though.
I'm pretty sure I wrote unaided eye!!!Is 'unaided eye' the new PC newspeak. LOL, Orwel's 1984 is coming closer...even on an astronomy forum. :cry: :cry:
orson

Post by orson »

orson wrote:
orson wrote: coulnd't see it with the unaided eye though.
I'm pretty sure I wrote unaided eye!!!Is 'unaided eye' the new PC newspeak. LOL, Orwel's 1984 is coming closer...even on an astronomy forum. :cry: :cry:
OK. I'll try again. How about n****d eye? Is that alright????