Brilliant Mars rotation video

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Robin Scagell

Brilliant Mars rotation video

Post by Robin Scagell »

Take a look at Martin Lewis's fantastic video of Mars rotating, based entirely on observations from St Albans using his home-built 222 mm telescope. The full story is in the Planetary Section:

http://popastro.com/planet/mars-2010-gl ... tin-lewis/

Robin
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Robin
Yes, Martin's Mars video is excellent !
If I had to name my favourite planet (excluding Earth !); not an easy decision but I think I'd say Mars.
Although I do enjoy seeing close up space probe images of the planets, but for me the space probe images sadly destroy something of a planet's mystery.
I'm not a big lover of science fiction but I still get a kick out of reading about the old visual observers views, especially of Mars (even though some of their old ideas seem like science fiction).
They got some things so wrong of course (particularly Percival).
Martin's video is great to watch and it still gives me that feeling of myth and wonder.
Best wishes from Cliff
jb1970

Post by jb1970 »

Fantastic, and done with a home made dob too.

All the best
Jack
250px dob
127mm mak
8x42 Celestron
10x50 Helios
15x70 Celestron
andrew robertson

Post by andrew robertson »

Cliff wrote:Dear Robin
Yes, Martin's Mars video is excellent !
If I had to name my favourite planet (excluding Earth !); not an easy decision but I think I'd say Mars.
Although I do enjoy seeing close up space probe images of the planets, but for me the space probe images sadly destroy something of a planet's mystery.
I'm not a big lover of science fiction but I still get a kick out of reading about the old visual observers views, especially of Mars (even though some of their old ideas seem like science fiction).
They got some things so wrong of course (particularly Percival).

Best wishes from Cliff
Totally agree Cliff,

What inspired me to Astronomy as a youngster was reading an old edition of Patrick Moore's book on the planets (before the first Mariner probe to Mars) when it was firmly believed the seasonal changes in dark markings on Mars was due to vegetation! I wanted to get a telescope good enough to show this phenomena myself. I have the telescopes now but alas the spell is broken!

Regards, Andrew
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Many videos of this type usually jump from one frame to the next, but Martin has managed to keep it smooth. 8)
brian