It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 5:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
 Post subject: Re: SUN in PST
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:56 am 

During daylight hours this week, we've had some pretty impressive cloudscapes, mostly of fair weather cumuli, leisurely drifting in woolly-white flotillas across a hard blue sky.
A hard blue sky usually indicates good observing conditions for solar viewing, and so it was late yesterday afternoon in the DS/PST.
A wealth of chromospheric detail could be seen, with particular reference to filaments and a fairly big detached prominence at the 2 o'clock position.
This latter feature would have been more interesting in the 70mm, stage 1, modded PST, but, alas, a sheet of cloud stretching to the western horizon rolled in and blotted out the Sun, as it always seems to do at the most inopportune time.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:45 pm 

2014 August 23 08 38 until 08 40 UT PST 32 times transparency very good seeing excellent.

A moderate sized V shaped prominence at the 12 30 position inverted azimuth view.
A string of prominences between the 2 o'clock and 3 o'clock position including a V within a larger V shaped prominence, looking like a flower.
A small wigwam prominence at the 830 position.

Apparent super granulation seen well with good resolution.

Four white areas, two being complex and large. The small white area lower left being bright.

Some nice long thin filaments mainly above centre disc, upper right quadrant.
Very long filament slanting slightly downwards from the 12 o'clock position.
Some other curved and straight filaments.

A medium-sized sunspot left of centre disc.
A possible small sunspot in a small white area fairly near the limb perhaps around the 1 o'clock position.

White light
Very good conditions.
08 41 UT
10×25 filtered binocular braced.
Medium-size sunspot near centre disc with a smaller sunspot to its lower left, normal binocular view.
A very small sunspot lower left fairly close to the limb.
Two very small sunspots upper right fairly close to the limb at about the 1 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions normal binocular view.

On 2014 August 21 there were more sunspots, particularly lower left of the largish sunspot there was a group of sunspots which is now perhaps a single small sunspot. There was a further sunspot which is not visible now.

2014 August 23 08 50 UT wind 280° 8 kn Cloud few 2500 feet 14°C TDP 9°C 1015 hector pascals.

Regards David

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:05 pm 

. Cloudy all day today until recently, but I just saw two new large sunspots in white light using filtered 10×25 binocular although the image is rather dim.
These are at 9 o'clock and 10 o'clock position near the limb normal binocular view.
There may still be some other spots on the right side of the sun, although I am not sure because the view was unsteady because of the difficult angle.
My normal viewing position was obscured by trees.

The observation was 2014 September 6, 1658 UT.

Regards, David

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:40 pm 

2014 September 8 0817 UT PST 32 times very quick look.

Some very nice prominences between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock inverted AZ view.
Between 11 o'clock and 12 o'clock the prominences got progressively higher until at the 12 o'clock position they were well disconnected from the limb.

There were sunspots on the disc including a large one above and to the right of centre disc.
There was other disc detail also.

white light
0818 UTC.
Welders glass 13 unaided eyes and Astro specs.
I probably saw a sunspot at the lower left. Estimated as approximately 50 arc seconds penumbral diameter.

08 19 UT
10×25 filtered binocular braced.
Bright sun no clouds.
At the 830 position normal binocular view well in board from the limb there is a large sunspot.
Below and to the right of this is a medium-sized sunspot with two smaller sunspots to its right.

0820 UT wind 360° 5 kn visibility 8 km haze cloud few 25,000 feet 13°C TDP 11°C 1019.5 hector pascals.

Regards David

2014 September 8 1212 UT approximately. In the street.
Welders glass 13 unaided eyes distance specs.
There was an easy sunspot at about the 9 o'clock position. Estimated as approximately 50 arc seconds penumbral diameter.
Also possibly/probably a smaller sunspot well below and to the right fairly near the lower limb.

1220 UT wind variable 4 kn Cloud few 4600 feet (visibility 25 km) 20°C TDP 9°C 1019 hector pascals.

Last edited by David Frydman on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:57 pm 

. Following on from the previous post.

2014 September 9 in the street.
1224UT approximately.
Welders Glass 13 unaided eyes Astro specs.
I immediately saw an easy dark sunspot at the 9 o'clock position well in board from the limb.
I estimated this as 52 arc seconds penumbral diameter.
Well below this and to the right there is a smaller sunspot, which I estimated as 42 arc seconds penumbral diameter.

1227 UTC approximately.
10×25 filtered binocular partly braced.
The large sunspot at the 9 o'clock position well away from the limb looks considerably larger in the filtered binocular, perhaps 70 arc seconds penumbral size.
It seems to consist of a very large complex group, which may account for the difference in apparent diameter between protected unaided eyes and filtered binocular.

Below this large group is a smaller sunspot with a smaller still sunspot to its left, and two smaller sunspots to its right.

1250 UT wind 030° 4 kn Cloud scattered 4500 feet (visibility 18 km) 22°C TDP 10°C 1021 Hector pascals.

Regards David

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:20 pm 

2014 September 22 0844 UTC PST 32 times fairly good conditions but some cloud.very quick look.

There was a beautiful long flattop very close elements hedgerow prominence at about 1230 position inverted AZ view.

There were two sunspots at the1 o'clock position and some filaments on the disc.

2014 September 24 1212 UT.
White light.
Good conditions bright sun.
welders glass 13 unaided eyes and Astro specs.
There was a sunspot immediately seen at the lower left well away from the limb.
I estimated it as about 48 arc seconds penumbral size.

1216 UT
10×25 filtered binocular not braced.
There was a string of four sunspots well below centre disc from about one third of the way from the limb to the centre disc stretching more or less horizontally to right of the centre disc.

SUN VERY SPOTTY..... 2014 September 26.

After a very cloudy day the sun finally came out.

White light
1538UT
welders glass 13 and unaided eyes and Astro specs.
Through a somewhat dirty window.
Very surprised to see three protected unaided eyes sunspots.

Below the centre and slightly left there were a pair of large sunspots seen closely separated.
About halfway from the centre disc to the limb at the 9 o'clock position there was a further sunspot.
All three sunspots were estimated roughly as 50 arc seconds penumbral size.

1539UT
Left of centre and just below centre normal binocular view there were two large sunspots showing Umbra and penumbra.
To the right of these two was a small sunspot.
Further to the right and above there were at least three sunspots in an approximately vertical line a long way from the right side limb. This might be part of a complex group.

regards, David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:11 pm 

2014 Nov 7 13.43 UT.

No PST in morning. Rain.

Over last 3 months 2,300 cu.m of material removed next door development, about 2,600 tons, almost 200 lorry loads. Not conducive to observing and at night awful light pollution.
I sometimes grab quick PST looks.

White light
In street 7/8 cloud, small cloud gap eventually.
10x25 filtered binocular partly braced.
Nice group 3 sunspots 9.30 position normal binocular view. A long way from limb.

13.50UT wind 250 23kn gusting 37kn visibility 30km rain shower cloud broken 2,800ft scattered 5,000ft 11C TDP 4C 993.5 hectopascals.

regards, David

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:45 pm 

2014 Nov 9 13.22 UT~

Cloudy morning no PST.

In street, perfect conditions 2/8 cumulus good transparency.
Welders glass 13 unaided eyes specs.
Almost immediately saw sunspot 41" estimated penumbral size. 10 o'clock half way limb to centre disc.

13.24 UT~
10x25 filtered bin unbraced.
Linear group 3 spots same position as protected unaided eyes.
Nothing else noticed.

12.50 UT 250 7kn visibility 35 km cloud few 2400 ft 12C TDP 6C 1003.5 hectopascals

regards, David

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:14 pm 

2014 December 25 1003 to 1005 UTC approximately PST 32 times transparency good seeing fair to fairly good. Sun low. Seen through gap in leafless oak tree, which had leaves till beginning December, the latest that I remember.

There was a very nice large hedgerow prominence between 3 o'clock and 3.45 position inverted AZ view. There were seven stems with the tops being almost continuous.

There was a spike prominence at the 4.30 position and a few other small prominences on the other side of the sun's limb.

There were a few small filaments.

There were a few small white areas.

No construction workers and no noise today, and the Mega floodlights are thankfully off. They actually made my neighbour ill when they were on for four days continuously.

0950 UTC wind 280° 8 kn CAV ok 5°C TDP 3°C 1029 Hector pascals.
Lots of seasonal greetings from United and Delta etc.

White light.
1356 UTC approximately in the Street about 6°C 5/8 cloud, quite a nice day.
10×25 filtered binocular.
Three small sunspots were seen.
A black small sunspot at the 1030 position normal binocular view well inboard from the limb.
A diffuse small sunspot at the 4.30 position well inboard from the limb.
And a small sunspot just seen with the unbraced filtered binocular at the 9 o'clock position quite near to the limb.

Regards, David

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:54 am 

There's just a very narrow gap for solar viewing from this site at this time of the year. It's from the upstairs window and between the end of a row of silver birch and the beginning of a neighbour's roof.
At least, we're past the winter solstice, so the sun can only climb higher in the coming weeks, when it can then be observed from the garden.
I curse the Borough Council for destroying the extensive views we used to have before it embarked on indiscriminate tree-planting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:14 am 

Yesterday afternoon was the first attempt at solar observing since November, due to a line of obscuring trees in the southerly prospect. Now the Sun is rising above the trees for some of the time.
Using the DS/PST, there were some impressive prominences along the solar limb, between the 2:00 and 4:00 o'clock positions. Atmospheric clarity was good, so it was possible to use X60 without serious image degradation.
The most obvious prom was a huge rose thorn-shaped one, while a little lower were two mushroom proms, looking not unlike detonated H-bombs; below them was a small, neat, loop prom.
There's always something new to see on our dynamic star :D .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:00 pm 

2015 February 8 1055 UTC PST 32 times good conditions but observed through oak tree branches. 90% of the sun's disc was visible.

The main feature is a very long filament, 1,000,000 km long, stretching from mid disc horizontally to the right, then halfway between centre disc and the limb, the filament angled upwards with curved portions and ended near to the Sun's limb perhaps at the 2 o'clock position inverted AZ view.

There was another very long and quite wide filament, vertically near the limb stretching perhaps from the 3 o'clock position downwards.

There were a few small prominences and one medium-size prominence.

Near centre disc slightly left, just before the very long filament started, there was a bright white area.

There were some other details on the disc, but not noted as the Sun drifted through the tree branches.

1050 UTC wind 020° 6 kn visibility 25 km cloud few 1800 feet broken 25,000 feet 6°C TDP 2°C 1039 Hector Pascal.

White light
1359 UTC approximately, in the Street.
10×25 filtered binocular not braced, good conditions but slight streaky Cirrus cloud.
There was a pair of small to medium sunspots to the right below centre disc.
. And a small to medium sunspot above centre disc.

Welders glass 13 unaided eyes and Astro specs.
1402 UTC approximately.
I was very surprised to see with great difficulty a sunspot to the right and below centre, which was in fact the rather widely separated pair of sunspots seen in the filtered binocular.
I estimated the penumbral diameter as 36 or 37 arc seconds.
There was a slight problem with streaky Cirrus, but sometimes I think that the sun's disc was clear of cloud.
A nice sunny day, 2/8 cloud but breezy and about 7°C.

Regards, David

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:25 pm 

I was glad to see that somebody came to exactly the same conclusion as I did, and posted a high quality image of 'A 1,000,000 km long filament'. This was posted after my comment but on another site.

2015 February 9 1307 the UTC approximately. In the Street.
The pair of sunspots of yesterday has now become a group. I saw three sunspots but there may be others.
It is now lower right on the sun's disc, normal binocular view, but nearer the limb than yesterday.
Above this is a smaller spot.

1309 UTC approximately.
I probably saw with great difficulty a protected unaided eyes sunspot lower right of the sun's disc.

1220 UTC wind 330° 5 kn visibility 15 km cloud few 1800 feet 7°C TDP 3°C 1034 Hector pascals.

Regards, David

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:53 am 

Today's http://www.spaceweather.com shows the extremely long filament still hovering over the sun's face. There's the possibility of Hyder flares if parts of the filament collapse onto the sun.
There's no possibility of PSTing here for a while, due to persistent nimbocumulus horribilis.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:45 pm 

Dear David (F) and Brian "Smerral"
re your Sun observation notes 8th Feb in particular your mention of ".......the main feature is a very long filament, 1,000,000km long......."
I refer to Brian "Smerral's" very fine Sun images taken 11th Feb (posted in the Gallery 12th Feb). Now I cannot claim to be an expert with regards to interpreting the Sun's features on images. However, if the long wavy feature most strongly defined on the right hand third of its overall possible length is interpreted as being a continuous filament, then by my reckoning (NOT definitive !!) it is more than a million kilometres long - allowing for the curvature of the Sun's "disk" I guestimated it to be 1,094,000km.
Best wishes from Cliff

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next