The Hunter Returns!

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

The Hunter Returns!

Post by mike a feist »

Although the sky was completely cloudy during the night, at about 10 to 5 am BST I noticed from 'the pillow' that there were some tiny gaps here and there. Just rising over a SE closeby rooftop, I could see a bright star. Viewed through a scope through the window, really could not figure out what it was..........until I went in the garden with binoculars in hand, and scanning with the larger fov, immediately came across an almost upright line of bright stars too..........of course ORION returning, and the first star mentioned was RIGEL. maf
andrew robertson

Post by andrew robertson »

Had about 3 views of Orion in the early hours over the last week (been getting up about 3am to observe Jupiter and staying through until 5.30am) and thought, 'that's come around quick - winter's on the way!' By 5am-ish there are 3 'red' stars prominent in the ESE to ENE; Betelguese, Aldebaran and fiery Mars adding an additional 'star' to Gemini. Did put the scope on Mars but at only 4.7" diameter I could see a distinctly gibbous phase, a prominent north polar cap and a hint of some dusky marling on the disc but nothing I could pin down - the image was shimmering all over - another 5 or 6 months before it gets to about 10" diameter.

Andrew
stella

Post by stella »

"Dusky marling" - a very apt typo!

Marl - earthy deposits consisting chiefly of an intimate mixture of clay and calcium carbonate, formed under freshwater conditions.

So more evidence of running water on Mars.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Surely marsly deposits.
Regards, David
Or marsy?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

It's down hill from now on.

I used to go, with my parents to Dorset with the caravan during the bank holiday week-end.

And it was always an early start, usually, 03:00 or 04:00.

I can well remember seeing all of the Winter constellations and remarking to my parents "it's that time of year again".

I'm away again on Friday to Anglesey, to Red Wharf Bay. And I am going for fourteen day's :lol:

I hope during that period, to go back to basics with my new binoculars, and do some late night observing.

So I am looking forward to seeing Orion together with his retinue
Paul Anthony Brierley
Observation Co-ordinator for.
Macclesfield Astronomical Society
https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/
http://pabastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2018/
andrew robertson

Post by andrew robertson »

stella wrote:"Dusky marling" - a very apt typo!

Marl - earthy deposits consisting chiefly of an intimate mixture of clay and calcium carbonate, formed under freshwater conditions.

So more evidence of running water on Mars.
:)
Leslie Ewan

Post by Leslie Ewan »

HI There,
The earliest Ive seen the entire figure of Orion clear of the horizon was the 23rd of August 2007 at 04:08BST,I even managed a image as well.His summer holidays in the sun(or rather behind it) are now over! :)
Regards and clear skies Les.