May meterites soon

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

David Webb

May meterites soon

Post by David Webb »

I hope we can get clear sky's here after 5 weeks of heavy cloud cover to view what looks like a big Meterite shower till about the 6th May.
Member of SPA.
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

A meteor shower maybe.............small rocks rocks in space are meteoroids, showers of cometary dust that burn up in the atmosphere are meteors, lumps of rock that survive to hit the ground are meteorites. A "meteorite shower" would be the shattered remains of a single meteoroid that shattered into pieces that hit the ground. These are rare and unpredictable. maf
stella

Post by stella »

Tony Markham

Post by Tony Markham »

The meteor shower currently peaking is the Eta Aquarids.

However, with Aquarius being very poorly placed in the sky currently, few if any meteors from it will be seen from the UK - the meteor shower radiant only rises about an hour before morning twilight for observers in the south of England and not until twilight has started for observers in Scotland.

Meteorites are extremely unlikely to arise from a meteor shower - since meteor showers result from the Earth encountering material ejected by comets, the particles that produce them will be icy , volatile and fragile. Meteorites in contrast are related to the rocky material left over from the formation of the solar system.
Alastair McBeath

Post by Alastair McBeath »

Colleague Rich Taibi in the States has just alerted me that American observers have been suggesting there may have been an increase of Eta Aquarid fireballs on their morning of May 4. A number of posts on Meteorobs refer to this:

http://lists.meteorobs.org/pipermail/me ... /date.html .

However, it's difficult to make sense of the limited data presented in each posting, so the significance of this possibility isn't clear yet. It could be simply a minor fluctuation detected by observers who aren't used to covering the shower.

The International Meteor Organization's "live" visual graph doesn't show anything untoward so far, but again the data sample is very small:

http://www.imo.net/live/eta-aquariids2012/ .

Alastair McBeath,
Assistant Meteor Director, Society for Popular Astronomy.
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

I have not seen anything apart from clouds for many nights here on thte south coast. Space Weather mentions a large new sunspot coming around the limb........I would be happy just to see a bit of sunshine and warmth bathing the Sussex landscape!! maf