Big Moon rising ..

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

brian livesey

Big Moon rising ..

Post by brian livesey »

Tonight's full moon will be as close as it gets to Earth, making it some 14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter.
brian
Davej

Post by Davej »

Hi,
Let's hope the clouds decide to behave for once in a while Brian.
Some more reading here. Looks like there could be clear skies for most places around midnight (or is that wishful thinking).
All the best
Dave
Meade LX 200 (7"). Odyssey 8" Dob.
11X80 10x50 15x70 bins
Celestron Neximage ccd cam
Tony Markham

Post by Tony Markham »

There is a need to be careful about numbers here

- the "14 percent bigger and 30 percent brighter" seems to be compared with when the Moon is at its most distant (some reports say "as much as ..." ; others leave out these words).

- although I haven't checked the exact figures, it seems to be the case that the Earth isn't actually closer to the Full Moon than in March 2011 , but in the UK, we are closer tonight - because you have to take into account the radius of the Earth - and when the Moon transits due south in the middle of the night (and so we are on the side of the Earth facing the Moon) the Moon is slightly closer to perigee than it was when it transitted at Full Moon last March.
There are some numbers relating to 2012 in the latest Sky Diary http://www.popastro.com/documents/SkyDiary.pdf

So whether the Full Moon tonight is closer than in March 2011 depends on how you define "closer"
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Once again
Meteorology 1 Astronomy 0
maf
David Webb

Post by David Webb »

Well sadly I never see any moon, or anything else in the sky, over the last few months we have had no clear skys at all, the best clear night I had here was early March when we had dry days, I would have loved to view the moon like that.
Member of SPA.
brian livesey

Re: Big Moon rising ..

Post by brian livesey »

I didn't see the Moon on the night due to cloud cover, but I did see it the previous night and was struck by the intensity of its light - a brilliant silver orb rising over the sports field.
The media, in its need to sensationalise, took a lot of zoomed shots of the Moon, creating the illusion that the Moon, with people and buildings silhuetted against it, is bigger than it really is. I wonder if anyone non-astronomical fell for the illusion?
brian