One Eye or Two?

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Geoff

One Eye or Two?

Post by Geoff »

Hello all,

This might see a daft question, but when observing Saturn on Sat night, I tried keeping both eyes open, and was sure it was better and easier to see more detail, and more comfortable. It did not see to work as well at low power on M44 etc.

Any thoughts or comments please?

Geoff
Celestron Nexstar 8SE
6.25" Dob
Skywatcher ST80
8x42 Opticron Imagic
davep

Post by davep »

I often do this too. I've read in a few places that it tends to work better in some situations. One suggestion I've read is to keep both eyes open and place a patch over the the unused eye. I keep meaning to give this a go (sometimes I keep both open and place a hand over the unused eye -- this seems to work rather well too).
paulestar

Post by paulestar »

I use a patch over an eye - I don't particularly find that the views come out better, but it is certainly a lot less strain on the face. Mind you, you'd be suprised at how difficult it is to change eyepeices with only one eye...

Nomatter how much stuff I cart outside with me, I often find I have left something important inside. Putting the patch over the observing eye helps to preserve the night vision a bit too.

Paul
Paul
70mm refractor (f10), 12x50 bincies, pair of brown eyes, 1 woolly hat
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

davep wrote:One suggestion I've read is to keep both eyes open and place a patch over the the unused eye. I keep meaning to give this a go (sometimes I keep both open and place a hand over the unused eye -- this seems to work rather well too).
I bought an eyepatch, from a toy store. I told them I had no need for the hooped shirt and red kerchief. Where does one go to get a better quality one? Boots? I haven't yet plucked up the courage to wear it as I easily get embarassed even when totally alone.

I do the hand over the eye thing as well. I would imagine keeping two eyes open would work much better at a dark site.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
paulestar

Post by paulestar »

I got mine from Superdrug, but I'm sure Boots (or other pharmacies) would have one too.

As for feeling embarassed - you're right! If wandering around with a red light, binoculars and an eyepatch doesn't bring attention then I don't know what will!

Paul
Paul
70mm refractor (f10), 12x50 bincies, pair of brown eyes, 1 woolly hat
klm67

Post by klm67 »

Geoff.

I always go out to observe with a hooded top or coat. I then pull the hood down over my left eye and keep ing both eyes open look with my right. This is much more comfortable add relaxing then closing one eye. It can make a big difference with low surface brighness objects like nebulas and galaxies I have viewed the moon and and planets with out cover the unused eye but the moon will always give you night blindness if you dont use a filter. Note that not using a filter on the moon means that your pupil will dilate and you will probabley then not get the full benifit of a given eyepieace at low power.

I have walked back in the house with one fully dialted and the other shrunk to a pin point from looking at the moon. Much to the alarm of my wife !! who proclaimed that I looked like I had been hit on the head or something.

Kevin.
North Surrey
Bins and 80mm Refractor
brian livesey

Not a patch on specs.

Post by brian livesey »

An old pair of specs with one lens removed and the other blackened works well. :wink:
brian
austin

Post by austin »

Reading this thread has had me in stitches!! Just the thought of what all of you look like in your various get ups.. ha ha ha!!!

Austin
120mm skywatcher refractor f8.3, 10x50 bins
Ian Lee

Post by Ian Lee »

aarhh Jim lad!!! next you'll be telling me about the parrot!! (pieces of eight, pieces of eight) or is that eyepieces!!! :lol:
Ian
127 mm Maksutov
70 mm f10 Refractor
Coronado PST
10 x 50 Bins

Starry-eyed and laughing
orion f6.3

eye

Post by orion f6.3 »

Two, less strain on your optics- - it just aint natural to look at anything with one eye shut!
Deep and Dark.

Orion Optics 250mm f 6.3 Hi-Lux 1/4PV DOB
EQ6 GOTO c/w 250mm rings
Skywatcher Equinox ED 66 PRO
Star Raker Bino Mount
Nikon 8x32 SE
VIXEN LV Eyepieces 4mm 5mm 6mm 7mm 9mm 10mm 12mm 15mm 20mm 25mm
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

Thanks folks

Regards

Long John Silver (geoff)
Celestron Nexstar 8SE
6.25" Dob
Skywatcher ST80
8x42 Opticron Imagic
adrazz

Post by adrazz »

joe wrote:
davep wrote:One suggestion I've read is to keep both eyes open and place a patch over the the unused eye. I keep meaning to give this a go (sometimes I keep both open and place a hand over the unused eye -- this seems to work rather well too).
I bought an eyepatch, from a toy store. I told them I had no need for the hooped shirt and red kerchief. Where does one go to get a better quality one? Boots? I haven't yet plucked up the courage to wear it as I easily get embarassed even when totally alone.

I do the hand over the eye thing as well. I would imagine keeping two eyes open would work much better at a dark site.
hehe :D
Adrazz
Chris_Barlow

Re: eye

Post by Chris_Barlow »

orion f6.3 wrote:Two, less strain on your optics- - it just aint natural to look at anything with one eye shut!
Unless you want to quickly see if a peice of wood is straight...............

:lol:
Chris_Barlow

Post by Chris_Barlow »

paulestar wrote:If wandering around with a red light, binoculars and an eyepatch doesn't bring attention then I don't know what will!

Paul
Why would you need an eyepatch with binoculars? :lol:

Unless it's some perverted thing nobody's telling me about?
adrazz

Post by adrazz »

Chris_Barlow wrote:
paulestar wrote:If wandering around with a red light, binoculars and an eyepatch doesn't bring attention then I don't know what will!

Paul
Why would you need an eyepatch with binoculars? :lol:

Unless it's some perverted thing nobody's telling me about?
Now that is funny :D :D :lol:
Adrazz