foiled again

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

pedders

foiled again

Post by pedders »

it was quite clear in stoke tonight and i got a good few hours viewing despite the moon. it seemed pretty choppy up there but that could be my ebay scope. i had a good look at m42. saturn, beehive cluster, and pleiades cluster and made a few sketches for the first time. it was surprisingly enjoyable sketching what i saw and it really makes you concentrate on the detail which can sometimes go unnoticed. id put 3 layers of clothes on ready to stay out until jupiter rose as ive still yet to see it with my scope and tonight was the night!! until a blanket of cloud rolled in at 2am. :( Foiled again!!
GordonCopestake

Post by GordonCopestake »

I got a good few hours in too pedders, but was too cold to wait for jupiter! Took some nice images of saturn but the moon was very bright to do too much deep sky work. Was a good night though and the first this year i think!
garymcgrory

Post by garymcgrory »

Hi Lads

Out for a few hours last night myself and agree was a nice night even with the moon, got some really nice views of saturn and 4 moons even managed to see m81 m82 albeit quite dim- which was nice!

gary
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I seem to be plagued by cloud and when there's no cloud...a full moon!

Pedders, I've been enjoying the Stellarium though, cheers!

Mitch
Hardware - Opticron MM2 (15-40x52) Spotting Scope + 10x42 Monocular, Skywatcher 200mm Newt
Visit my web log at
http://skywatching-uk.blogspot.com/
Vega

Post by Vega »

I'm going to wait for Jupiter to be rising in the Evenings.. few more months.

Early hours to morning sunrise really isn't my cup of tea :D
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Well it's been clear the past few nights, and I am still waiting for delivery of an eyepiece.

I don't believe in "Astronomer's Law" where cloud cover is proportionate to the amount spent on equipment, or even a small purchase ushers in a week of cloud, however it is "Something's Law" (self censorship) that having still not received the aforementioned occular, but will be expecting it soon, we appear to have cloud cover well into next week! :roll:
Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

Saturday evening began clear here in Sussex and had a good binocular view of the Moon & Saturn. However thin cloud soon appeared giving rise to a good 22 degree halo....then it got worse and Sunday is wet.
Mike
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear al
After three longish observing sessions on the trot; being a bit selfish, dare I say it I was a bit relieved it was cloudy last night.
Best of luck from Cliff
Chris_Barlow

Post by Chris_Barlow »

Cliff wrote:Dear al
After three longish observing sessions on the trot; being a bit selfish, dare I say it I was a bit relieved it was cloudy last night.
Best of luck from Cliff
There's always somebody out there to make the rest of us feel even worse! :lol:

Glad you managed to get some good nights observing although I really wish it were me! 8)
pedders

Post by pedders »

gordon, i suspected you might well be out with your scope on that night as well, its comforting to know you're not the only person mental enough to be sat ouside in the early hours of a freezing winter morning. i see you've given up on the pier, thats a shame but i can see why your mrs was getting a little worried. she probably expected to come home from work one day to find keck 3 in the back yard.

mitch, glad you're enjoying Stellarium its a wonderful tool. it shows how good and easy to use it is cus i found my girlfriend having a play with it the other day and she usualy gets that far off glazed look whenever i mention stars/cluster planets.
Leslie Ewan

Post by Leslie Ewan »

HI All,
It cleared up here in the late evening yesterday and the veiws of Saturn was exceptional , not a quiver. I managed a image on my 4 megapixel compact camera, and digiadapter. It wasent even all that cold and no breeze.Pity it dident last.Did anyone else experiance pristine Saturian veiwing last night? :D
Regardss Les.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Chris and Leslie
Chris, yes I apologise if I was a bit smug. But I must confess there are times when I am almost glad it is cloudy. I remember some years ago now, before I retired, I was ill in bed for a week and I was pleased it was cloudy thge whole time. I would have been sicker still if I had missed some observing.
Leslie, even so I am glad it cleard up for you last night. But i think i would have pretended it was still cloudy if it had cleared up here.
Best of luck from Cliff