Reflections on a binocular mirror-mount

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

brian livesey

Reflections on a binocular mirror-mount

Post by brian livesey »

After the long, light, summer evenings, the Autumnal constellations are always a welcomed sight. Yesterday evening, using an unusual combination of 16X50 and 20X50 binoculars on the homemade binocular mirror-mount, some of the sky objects viewed included the celebrated Double Cluster in Perseus ( strangely, not entered into Messier's catalogue ), several asterisms in Cassiopea, spiral galaxy M31 in Andromeda, open cluster M39 and the multiple star Albireo ( the orange component has a third dwarf companion ) in Cygnus.
While observing, someone's wandering cat persistently rubbed itself against my right leg. In cat language, it can mean "Feed me"; it's unlikely that the feline wanted to look through the binoculars.
As often happens at this time of year, it wasn't long before the night sky became shrouded in mist, ending the observing session.
Last edited by brian livesey on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brian
nigeljoslin

Re: Reflections in a binocular mirror-mount

Post by nigeljoslin »

Oh, I never knew that Albireo had a third component, Brian; thanks for the info.
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

There's some controversy as to whether Albireo and its blue companion are physically bounded. The latter has an orbital period of 75,000 years: stars.astro.illinois.edu/sow/albireo.html .
brian
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

Thanks, Brian.
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars