It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:02 am

Post subject: Return of the Perseids
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:19 am 

This year's Perseid meteor shower will reach its peak from tomorrow, when skies are predicted to clear in places.
The display is especially active this time round and could produce up to 150 meteors per hour, about one every 24 seconds. The shower will approach its peak tonight but will still be considerable on Sunday night.
The Perseid shower is caused by debris in the tail of the Swift-Tuttle comet. Bits of the comet larger than a grape will produce spectacular fireballs, followed by a trail of ionised gas that will slowly fade from view. From 1am to predawn is the best time to observe the shower.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:10 am 

Hello Brian,

I hope that you managed to see the display. I had a lively early morning (one o'clock to two o'clock) watching the display under a crisp sky. Conditions v. good....could make out the Milky Way despite the two thirds moon shining like a beacon!

In spite of this moonlight and my tendency to blink and miss, I spotted thirty two in one hour. The official figure I have is 60 per hour or sometimes more, but I see you say it could be up to 150. Most of them were at their height of visibility in the Draco/Lyra/Hercules region of sky, and they came in bursts with periods of inactivity and then two or three in quick succession.

The brighter ones were very impressive, one in the Cepheus/Draco area actually creating a flash that lit the sky before leaving a long trail of debris. Many more bright ones were on show, several actually plunging downwards.

A good start to the new astronomy season!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:32 am 

As for myself Nigel: ZZZZzzzzz. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:04 pm 

I probably saw one Perseid in a 4 minute watch. Magnitude 2.
Early this morning.
In a clear bit of sky including Ursa Major handle.

These ZHRates are not what one sees at lower elevations or with a sky worse than maybe mag 6 stars.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:41 pm 

Thanks, David....or when flooded with moonlight! :wink:

Hah, Brian....zzz....a direction I'm increasingly leaning towards! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:04 pm 

I don't normally bother as the weather is usually bad and my garden is very light polluted, Despite lots of patchy cloud I stuck it out for an hour and did see 12 - of which 3 were impressive.

10x50 Helios
15x70 Celestron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:10 am 

My wife, a cousin and I sat out to spectate the meteors on 3 late evenings - August 11 to 13th - in dark rural France. Just 30-40 minutes a session, but we saw about half a dozen bright perseids each night. The highlight was probably the alpha capricornid that Lesley saw pass from east to west, well above the southern horizon on the 12th. Sadly, I missed that one (see The Quiet Constellations star story!). Apart from the mozzies it was delightful and a treat to see whole constellations unbutchered by light pollution. I've done a star story sonnet to celebrate the sights, "The Drunk and the Meteor" but its probably unwise to post it on the forum! Happy gazing, Bob