It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:09 pm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:09 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Tuesday Oct 3rd 2017: Clear sky, no moonlight, rather cold.
0540BST: Walked to Foredown with Minolta zoom binoculars in my pocket, saw Venus + Mars
0550BST: Walking back, they were now visible from the park, used the same zoom binos.
0600BST: Returned to the park with 22x60 Greenkat spotter on tripod. (c/w makeshift mount).
0615BST: By now planets visible from bedroom window, used Greenkat 22x60.
0650BST: Still able to follow these through the window. [Too low from garden.]
0655BST: Final sighting of Mars in the 22x60, after that lost to daylight. Venus still visible.
Venus was above Mars and both easily fitting the 22x60 fov (and perhaps perhaps separated by less than the distance between two adjacent Belt Stars of Orion. [NB in future, I need NOT make an expedition of it, now I know that, starting later, I can see them from the park or even from the bedroom window!] regards maf

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:16 pm 

"Venus & Mars Closer.
4th Oct, 2017, Wednesday: Sky cloudy with a few gaps. Venus + Mars only seen between 0624 and 0627BST using Hawke Endurance 12-36x50 spotter on tripod, through closed the bedroom window. Separated by about 1/3rd the fov at lowest magnification, Venus above Mars."
regards mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:31 pm 

Hi Mike.
Which Minolta zoom binocular?

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:22 am 

Hello David: Binocular is a Minolta 7-15X35 Zoom. I recently bought it at almost a giveaway price from Clock Tower Cameras as it had been well-used, with the rubber coating a bit split, without caps or case. Complete info is: Minolta zoom Standard EZ 7x-15 x35 MK 3263429 China.

The 22x60 Japanese spotting scope was bought from CTC also recently and v cheaply. In used condition, without caps or case etc. This model is the one without tripod mounting thread. It focuses by rotating the front part of the tube.The focus mechanism is simply a small screw running in the curved slot in the inner tube. This screw was very loose and so I removed it, and replaced it with a slightly larger screw that cut itself a thread into one of the tubes. Too high a magnification x22 to reasonably hand-hold for astronomy. I then puzzled how to mount it on a tripod. Went to Wickes in Hove, and came across a black down-pipe bracket that was just about the correct size, so I bought two, which cost me less than £2. With a little ingenuity, some black felt and black insulation tape, I was almost there. One of my tripods had a spare quick release bracket, and I was able to remove the center screw and use a longer one to fit it and it was almost done. However it was not too firm, so trimmed down the base of the second one, so it would also fit the bracket, and it was done. All in black, it almost looked quite professional! regards maf

Last edited by mike a feist on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:56 am 

2017-10-05 05:15 GMT.
The strong wind & rain during the night had cleared leaving a clear sky to the east. Walking to work I noticed Venus & Mars have cleared trees and roofs' and are prominent in the sky. I would estimate that Venus is about mag -3 and is the upper of the 2 planets, I would estimate Mars at about mag 2. Mars is almost vertically below Venus and I would estimate they are separated by about 0.4 deg.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:14 am 

On the South Coast, I had no such luck. Before sunrise, the sky was completely overcast, then as I set out to walk up to the FT, it rained. Now it is very very windy but with blue sky and some clouds. regards maf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:22 am 

2017-10-06
05:00 UT

Another clear morning, 2 on the trot, almost unheard from where I live!

Venus & Mars are prominent in the east again. Mars is now to the upper left of Venus at about the 2 o'clock position. The pair seem slightly closer together than they did yesterday. I estimate the separation at about 0.25 deg

In the 10x50's I can just about make out 77 Leo about a degree above Venus, but the sky is beginning to lighten. Quite a nice little group.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:09 pm 

Venus and Mars , 6th Oct 2017, from bedroom window. 0607-0708 BST (when Mars was last seen in the dawning sky.)
22x60 Greenkat:Venus & Mars separated by about 1/5th fov or about 24 arcmins.
7-15x35 Minolta zoom bino. hand-held: giving a good view.
12-36x50 Endurance Hawk: separated by about 1/6th of lowest magniude fov.
Venus brilliant "yellowish-white" and Mars "yellow-orange".
Mars roughly at the 2 o'clock position with reference to Venus.
regards maf
NB. I also noticed the star above them, but surely Mars was to the right of Venus in the 2 o'clock position. maf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:50 pm 

Hi Mike,
Your are correct it was to the upper right, it was early in the morning though! 56yo & I still can't tell the difference between left & right. Time for a lie down I think.

Regards

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:21 pm 

How welcome to see some clear skies this morning. I only had about 10 minutes in which to look at the pairing, using an 8x42 binocular, but what a beautiful sight it was. I love to see Venus blazing in a cold, clear morning sky - piercingly bright. It was 6:20am when I observed, and the sky was already beginning to brighten. I was also able to make out 77 Leo, above the two planets, and in the same binocular field of view. Sirius and Procyon were still very prominent too.

As I made my way to work, I caught some very picturesque views of the full Moon, nestling just above some distant tree-line hills, bathing the fields in light. There was a very subtle peach coloured glow appearing over towards the eastern horizon too, just before sunrise.

It made for a very uplifting start to the day. How lucky to be able to take in such gorgeous views.

Jeff.