It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:22 am

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:50 pm 

​On my way home from work, early yesterday evening, I stopped to look at the very slender crescent Moon (disk approx. 4% illuminated). I didn't realise until afterwards that Saturn was about five degrees to the left of the crescent Moon, but I think the sky would have been a little too bright for me to spot it without optical aid.

Thin crescents are a really beautiful sight. A belt of stormy looking cloud added to the scene, just leaving enough of a window to enable a 15 minute uninterrupted view of the crescent. I was observing from the outskirts of a town centre, from a slightly elevated position, looking across a residential sprawl. It was so relaxing, taking in the twilight view, while all around me rushed about at a hectic pace.

Best wishes, Jeff.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm 

Yes, those thin crescents floating in the light of dusk and dawn are a wonderful sight 8)

regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:18 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Crescent Moon -Wednesday 22nd November 2017: 1640-1740 GMT etc. After sunset clouds began to cover parts of the sky but managed to view the Crescent Moon + Earthshine + a star off the southern cusp. When closest, at about 1740 GMT, the star ( later identified as pi Sagittarii) was about 12 arcmins away from the point of the cusp...this point was very star-like being a polar mountain peak catching the sunlight. Used 65mm Acuter +25 ep, through the window. regards maf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:14 pm 

That sounds like a very picturesque view, Mike. It’s been total cloud cover here, along with torrential rain, so I wasn’t able to view. I do love to see the earthshine effect, and it’s always interesting to scan the area with a binocular.

Best wishes, Jeff.