It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Post subject: Waxing Moon
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:21 pm 

I've been making some binocular observations of the Moon over the past couple of nights. Hopefully the run of clear skies will continue for a few days. I've been using (and trying to compare) 8x23 (Opticron Savanna), 8x40 (Optomax) and 8x56 (Eschenbach) binoculars. Interestingly, the best view seems to be coming from the 8x40, in terms of clarity and comfort. Unaided eye and binocular observing seem to be my preferred style of observing now - suiting my opportunities for shorter but more frequent observing sessions. Oddly enough, the 8x40s were only £18 from a second-hand market, and significantly cheaper than each of the other instruments.

With all instruments, I seemed to notice a slight bluish colouration to Mare Tranquillitatis this evening, noticeably different from the surrounding maria. It's interesting to see what features can be picked out. I love how prominent Aristarchus is - such a brilliant white.

Best wishes, Jeff.

Last edited by jeff.stevens on Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Waxing Moon
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:58 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
This pattern of observing, ie using smaller optics for more frequent but shorter observing sessions, does seen to be the way things seem to be going, mainly, I imagine because of the deterioration of the weather here. A number of observers I know seem to have given up on big telescope observing or have switched to solar observing or automatic meteor recording. One has even switched from small telescope observing to photography (imaging) just with a camera. I have over the years done most of my observing with small spotting scopes, monoculars or binoculars often out and sometimes through the window.
Quite recently I have been photographing the Moon just with a second-hand Canon SX50HS, selecting the best shots and printing them suitabily enlarged in the local chemist. Zoomed up initially in the camera, which has an image stabilizer, and simply using auto-focus, the amount of detail visible easily exceeds that visible in binoculars.
As one gets older, as we all are, standing out for hours in the bitter cold, loses its attraction. Hence I rather prefer also crepuscular observing, dawn and dusk, when possible.
No double most people here have heard of George Hole and his huge reflector at Patcham (Brighton). I recently came across an interesting piece on the MyBrighton Internet site, put there by his daughter, which had a photograph of his workshop in Preston Village and the note that in later years, in the winter, the attraction of the warm fire, comfy chair and pipe outweighted standing out in the cold to observe stuff that he had seen many times before.
There are of course no rules of how and what you look at, at least if you are an amateur astronomer/skywatcher. One can just do what suits yourself, your location and equipment..."each to their own". regards maf

Profile Send private message