It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:38 am

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:35 pm 

I was driving back home a short while ago, and kept spotting the waning Moon peeking through some patchy cloud. By the time I arrived home it was on view in a relatively clear sky. I spent a short while observing with an 8x40 binocular, and could see Regulus about a degree to the upper right, making for a very picturesque view. There's a definite ice crunch underfoot this evening too, with a light dusting of snow on the ground, and near zero degrees Celsius temperatures.

I gather Regulus would have reappeared, as viewed from my location, from behind the dark limb just as the Moon was rising.

Has anyone spotted any early Geminids yet? The forecast for Wednesday's peak seems unfavourable.

Best wishes, Jeff.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:29 am 

Hi Jeff,

Saw a single meteor around about 7 o'clock yesterday evening. I'm not sure whether it was a Geminid or not; it was heading from the east but near Pegasus.

Crystal clear conditions. M56 at 400 magnification was lovely, what with its faint surrounding stars as well!

Looking good for Sunday and Monday night, here in Galloway.

Happy observing,

Nigel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:57 pm 

Hi Nigel, wow, Galloway - some dark skies there - just been looking at how it fares on the dark sky map. I'm very envious. You must have some impressive views. I can only imagine what M56 must have looked like.

I'd imagine that the Geminids will put on an impressive display in your skies. I think they are one of my favourite events, and have resulted in some of my most successful meteor watches.

The forecast for the Potteries looks like Monday night going into Tuesday morning will be the best opportunity for me, so I shall look forward to seeing some spectacular meteors. If I can get organised, I might have a go at taking some photographs.

Best wishes, Jeff.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:30 am 

Hi Jeff, yes, I'm lucky, I see the Milky Way as soon as I step out the back door... :D

I think I'll have a look on Monday night, too. By Tuesday night, we cloud up.

I'm not bothering with meteor photos....with me, it's always a case of ending up with sixty black rectangles!

Good luck too you, though!