It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:54 pm

Post subject: Jupiter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:06 am 

2017 Dec 12 06.35UT. 10x42 binocular.
minus 6.2C infra red thermometer. Not sure how accurate but hard frost on cars.

Beautiful clear sky.
Good transparency.
Jupiter first view cleared rooftop.
3 moons identified correctly.
Earthshine strong and crescent Moon.
Short view, no meteors.

Airbus A380 SuperJumbo.
4, perhaps 6 white lights. One under each engine and 2 under fuselage. Wierd and impressive.

Regards,
David

P.S.
Accurate official weather minus 4C.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Jupiter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:49 pm 

That's a lovely time of day to be observing, David. I do enjoy seeing if I can spot some or all of the Galilean moons using a binocular.

It was a particularly cold start to the day.

Best wishes, Jeff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:35 am 

I managed to observe this morning from 6:30am until 7:05am, before the cloud and the subsequent rain rolled in. Initially, there were some very clear pre-dawn skies, with Jupiter, Mars and Spica clearly on view. The waning Moon, which according to Starry Night was displaying a slender 3% illuminated disk, hadn't risen above the rooftops from my view, but I did catch sight of it briefly from an upstairs window after I'd finished observing.

Using an 8x40 binocular to observe Jupiter, I could detect a single point of light to the immediate upper right. Looking at the configuration of the Galilean moons, I am assuming this would have been Callisto and Ganymede appearing as one point of light about four arc minutes from Jupiter. Io and Europa were similarly close together, but perhaps too close to Jupiter's disk for me to detect. I did a quick plot of the field of view, with just two other stars clearly visible. Although, checking afterwards, I suspect the other point of light that I could just detect with averted vision was the magnitude +6.3 star 5 Librae.

Best wishes, Jeff.

Attachments:
Jupiter-20171216-300x450.jpg
Jupiter-20171216-300x450.jpg [ 55.81 KiB | Viewed 2006 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:17 pm 

Hi Jeff,
Those are the circumstances when people with exceptional sight see moons of Jupiter with unaided eyes.
I.e. 2 moons combined.
Although some children may have seen all 4 moons separately with no optical aid.
Also Venus crescent and Saturn ellipse.

Regards,
David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:35 pm 

Dear David & Jeff
Many years ago (sometime about 1990-ish) a work colleague got mildly interested in astronomy. I encouraged him to observe Jupiter with binoculars. He really enjoyed seeing the Galilean Moons & a few weeks later told me his wife (then about 30 years old) one night saw one Jovian Moon just using her unaided eye. From what I recall Ganymede was actually well placed at the time she reckoned to see it. My colleague was a very reliable chap & I've always liked to think his wife really did see the Jovian Moon. That being so, she is the only person I've actually known to see any of Jupiter's satellites by unaided eye.
As it happens only a few weeks ago I read in the local newspaper she had been awarded our town's top award 2017 for doing serious voluntary work - a remarkable lady.
Best wishes for all 2018 & beyond from Cliff