It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:22 am

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:56 pm 

Reports have been pouring in this evening following a brilliant fireball seen and imaged from across the UK around 17:30-17:35 UT. Early estimates suggest the timing was probably close to 17:33-17:34, but there is, as so often with many casual sightings, a lot of scatter in the initial data.

This page on the International Meteor Organization's website has details of the 550+ sightings to arrive so far, along with maps and images. There's a further summary page, with some good videos here, also on the IMO website. A preliminary report is also available among the SPA Meteor Section pages here.

The trajectory looks to have been nearly due east to west across northern England, starting over the North Sea and ending some way south of Carlisle, but this is only a very preliminary estimate.

All further sightings should be submitted to the SPA and IMO without delay. This SPA Meteor Section webpage has details on how to do so most effectively.

Needless to say, I was naturally indoors preparing my tea when this happened - story of my life!

[Hasty edit:] Oops. Forgot to say too, of course - Happy New Year to all!

Profile Send private message