It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:13 pm

Post subject: A Bit of Leo-ing
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:26 am 

A toilet trip at 4 o'clock this morning saw me peering out the window to see fabulous clear sky! Ten minutes later, I was swinging the Dob round towards Leo. I hadn't looked at the triplet for quite some time and had forgotten how good it was, a nice triangle of galaxies at a low magnification of 65x.

In the superb conditions, even the 3rd one (the thin, almost edge-on NGC 3628) leapt out brightly, although, of course, I also have my 14 inches of aperture to thank for that! Before long, I was focusing my attention upon what for me was the most attractive, M65, which looked absolutely superb at 275x, elongated to fill much of the 60 degree field of view and showing nice inner cluster detail, its fuzzy spirality at a pleasingly different angle to that of the irregular M66, which was also showing lots of detail and hinting at individual arms.

I then looked at M95, M96 and M105, also pleasing galaxies, displaying more face-on views. And then it was on to the Leo1 dwarf galaxy, close to Regulus. Moving Regulous just beyond the field of view, I used a magnification of 110x to best effect.

Finished off in Leo with a peep at the lovely, orange/yellow double star Algeiba......and then nearby interacting pair NGC 3226/7 which do appear to be connected. The long, slanted elongation of NGC 3227 is a very nice sight, as is its bright core, whereas NGC 3226 looked smaller and much more rounded, with a fainter core.

Finally, I just had to take in a ripply look at low elevation Jupiter to complete a great hour of observing! :D

Profile Send private message