Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

David Frydman

Re: The Return of Venus!

Post by David Frydman »

Hi Bob,
Venus is nice now.
Some clear nights.

I also saw Saturn for first time. It is very low for me.

Haven't seen any NLC.

225x? 80mm refractor.

Regards,
David
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Hello David, you are right to query the magnification. Actually the magnification (x165) is the correct figure; the wrong one, I now notice, is the focal length (8mm) of the eyepiece when it should read "11mm Tele Vue plossl" - now edited. Good job someone is on the ball!
You might also notice that I have swapped from the 90mm refractor, back to the old faithful 80mm after I have cleaned the objective (first time in 25 years) and changed the old, worn focuser for a new one. The 90mm is a good double star instrument but I prefer the 80mm for the Moon and planets. Old habits?
I'm looking for NLC but no luck yet.
Kind thoughts to you, Bob
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Venus seen easily and quite bright with unaided eyes and distance glasses 4 minutes before sunset this evening in a transparent sky.

I haven't yet seen any NLC this season.

Regards,
David
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

2018 June 15, 21.05 UT. 80mm achromatic refractor f11.4, x165 with 11mm Tele Vue plossl and x2 TV Barlow. Seeing Ant IV, transparency good, sky - twilight. Disc diameter 14.2 arcsec. Phase estimated at 72% by eye with W15 yellow filter, comparing the eyepiece view and interpolating with 5% incremental phase profile diagrams. Reliability poor due to seeing and no further disc work attempted.
Best wishes, Bob