Not UFOs

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

RMSteele

Not UFOs

Post by RMSteele »

2018 March 13, 2150 UT. R Leonis. 15x63 binoculars. While observing the vivid red LPV (mag 5.7 - estimated), a group of objects entered the 3.3 degree FOV from SW, moving NE. There were eight streamlined shapes, consisting of a group of three in echelon to the north and a flight of five, extended north to south, separated from the northerly group by about half a degree. They made no sound and were evenly illuminated, pale and colourless. All objects were the same brightness (about mag 6, considered as point sources in my estimation). They were the same size and shaped a bit like a lemon pip, I estimate at the most around 10 arc mins in the direction of travel and 5 arc mins transversely (north/south) and they were easily tracked in the 15x63 binoculars; after maybe 5 seconds the southerly line of 5 abreast increased their mutual separation. What were they?
Not spacecraft. The angular velocity was too great and they had a visible shape.
Not aircraft. There were no aviation lights and no sound.
The short range implied by their angular size and mode of illumination, which I conclude was reflected artificial urban illumination, implies that they were small, close and relatively slow moving objects, probably birds at a range of say 100 metres.
Any other thoughts?
Regards, Bob
David Frydman

Re: Not UFOs

Post by David Frydman »

Hi Bob,
I would think birds, maybe geese or ducks further than 100 metres and faster.

I have seen I think a Buzzard at perhaps half a mile in the 18x50 IS that looked like a mag 7 globular cluster. A lesser binocular would probably not have shown it.
Probably reflected from the numerous lights below.

Or your sighting could be Superman's children. :)

Regards,
David
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

I'm sure you're right David, thinking further on it, large birds at a few hundred metres would better fit the rate of travel that I observed.
Kind Regards, Bob
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Maybe a Klingon bird of prey: memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Klingon_Bird-of-Prey .
brian
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Brian you're a genius, why didn't I think of that? Regards Bob :D