It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:32 am

Post subject: Moon & Jupiter
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:40 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
30th April - 1st May 2018: At last the sky cleared (more or less) after sunset and had a reasonable view of the just-after-Full Moon and Jupiter, although through some murkiness. But the next morning at 0141 UT, 0346 UT, and 0453 UT, the sky was properly clear and was able get a good view in 50mm (x18) spotting scope and was to take a few snaps (camera only) before the Moon finally disappeared behind Southwick Hill. regards maf

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Moon & Jupiter
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:18 am 

Hello Mike. I had relatively clear skies at around 11:15pm on Monday evening, and as I peeked out of a downstairs window I could see Jupiter within a few degrees of the waning gibbous Moon. The transparency of the sky around the area of Jupiter wasn't perfect, so the planet seemed to bask in a soft pale haze, but the effect was very picturesque to the unaided eye. Did your photos turn out well?

I used an 8x56 binocular to view Jupiter, and the attached chart plot shows what I could see. The star 21 Librae was about 23 arcmintes angular separation from Jupiter, and the moons Ganymede and Callisto were nestled in between planet and star. I was using the binocular purely hand-held to begin with, and I was struggling to make out the fainter star HIP73953, so I had to rest on a gate. Stability really does improve binocular views. I imagine that a Canon image stabilised binocular must give a very nice view. I need to work on building a monopod.

Seeing this pairing was a lovely end to the day, especially as the predicted rain held off and we had a mix of glorious sunny spells througout the early evening instead. I had the pleasure of walking home alongside the canal, and watching the continually changing sky, with a real mix of wispy high cirrus, and lower altitude, beautifully formed cotton wool cumulus cloud.

Best wishes, Jeff.

Attachments:
2018-04-20-Jupiter-23h30mBST-300x450.jpg
2018-04-20-Jupiter-23h30mBST-300x450.jpg [ 68.01 KiB | Viewed 1376 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 am 

Hello Jeff.
The snaps were not bad, and couple were printed to put in the album. Once enlarged in the shop, the Moon was rather fuzzy and shown no detail due to the brilliance of full Moon and because I could only include Moon and Jupiter if I did not zoom up the image in the camera too much. However the Moon when photographed alone and zoomed up by 75x or so in the camera" came out" wonderfully well. The Moon is about 4 inches in diameter in the final print, showing all the tonal features of the high Sun illumination; maria, rays, bright spots plus the very thin sunset terminator-strip of shadow-filled very elongated craters.
(nb. The camera is a secondhand Canon SX50HS. Many of the facilities it provides I do not really know how to use properly, or even need, but it does have a good zoom facility and an image stabiliser. I also find the 2-second delay-mode is very good for photographing the Moon. I mainly use it hand-held but rested. I nearly always use the "auto"-setting, as the Moon is generally very bright, zooming-up in the camera, dims the Moon sufficiently. I then erase all the "rubbish", taking the little "memory"-stick into Boots and, using the self-service machine, print the best couple of shots. Then I erase the lot!) The prints are mounted in albums, with suitable labels as necessary. I now ensure that each picture is printed with the date & time in the machine. ) regards maf

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:28 am 

A bit more on the "albums" in which I keep the prints may be of interest. I avoid "photo-albums" from the shops but finally hit on using standard presentation folders with integral plastic transparent sleeves (not loose-leaf folders as they flop about) and black card (bought separately). Labelling the pages with small numbered stickers produces a neat, almost professional result and enables production of an index which is probably necessary for quick location as there are now something like 2300 photographs. For pages that I need to access regularly to amend, I replace the black card with coloured card. I also used those large sticky numbers (those sold for rubbish-bin house numbers) on the front of each album and I am currently on Album 11. These albums also include various printed out lists of observations, photographs of telescopes, binoculars and monoculars that I have used, and photographs of optical effects (rainbows ,haloes etc) that I have taken, copies of articles I have written for magazines etc, etc. They have, in effect, become neat and tidy scrapbooks/diaries with everything labelled, findable and protected by plastic sleeves.
From the above your might guess that for 20 years I was a storekeeper in an electrical wholesalers!! regards maf

Last edited by mike a feist on Thu May 03, 2018 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:18 pm 

That's quite a valuable archive of photos and notes you have there, Mike. I'm impressed by your dedication to cataloguing. My observational notes and history have become a bit too spread out in various forms. It's on my list to try and catalogue all my observations at some stage.

We have another clear night here in North Staffs, and I have just been out to take a quick look at Jupiter from the front drive, and then another few minutes standing in the back garden. As soon as I walked into the back garden, and looked up, a meteor dashed across the sky, almost at the zenith, running approximately north-south. It was very noticeable. Not quite a fireball, but close.

Best wishes, Jeff.