It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:56 am

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:15 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Following the talk (about astro-photography), at the May meeting of the local astronomy group, the sky was somewhat darkening (although there were bits of thin cloud here or there). I used a 10x50 Hawke monocular on a table-top tripod (rested on a picnic table, upturned cable drum and then the top of wall-post.) The Crescent Moon was first seen at 2050 BST and Venus was picked-out out about a fov up to the right. These were followed until about 2145 BST (also saw Jupiter in the opposite pat of the sky) when I went home. From there I was able to photograph the Crescent Moon and Venus. Earthshine was obvious by then. I then noticed a faint-ish star about 1/2 degree below Venus, which was later identified as 132 Tauri. regards E.KIm (Skywatcher)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:17 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
20th May, 2200-2230 BST.
1. Crescent Moon with the Theophilus group well-placed at the terminator. Using the mounted Hawke 10x50 monocular, also noticed the FOV just included M44 (The Praesepe) to the west of the Moon. Nearby also located R Leonis, possibly about= to 19 Leonis.
2. Jupiter about 2/5th FOV to the left (East) of the wide binocular pair alpha Librae-
Zubenelgenubi.
21st May, 0445-0537 BST.
Once again attempted to follow MARS into daylight. Used 10x50 Hawke Nature-trek monocular mounted on a light-weight Slik F730. Followed from 0445 until 0537 BST when MARS crept out of the FOV was not relocated against the pale milky sky, but at this time the Sun was up and shining on the windows of the flats nearby.
regards maf.

Profile Send private message