It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:47 am

Post subject: Saturn quite near M22
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:06 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
12th June 2018: 0150BST. The sky was partly cloudy as I went out into the back garden with 10x50 monocular c/w grip and I noticed that Saturn was above the Southern rooftops. Scanning down a little below the planet I came across a prominent "fuzzy-cometlike-ball ". No, it was not a comet but the Globular cluster M22 in Sagittarius. Just below it and to the right was a neat triangle of stars. Much further up to the left was the familiar asterism "the teaspoon" [containing pi, omicron and the two xi stars] which goes with "The Teapot". Panning much farther to the right, I finally came across M8, as a fuzzy smudge. By then the clouds had started to creep across the southern sky. This lowest part of the Ecliptic and the richest part of the "Milky Way" and the centre of our Galaxy is not often well seen from our latitude and certainly not from my back-garden! regards maf

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:37 pm 

We have to envy those who are able to behold the southern Milky Way on a routine basis Mike. I met an Australian the other day, who said that his most breathtaking view of the night sky was from the Simpson Desert.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:29 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
My wife, Sandra, on a trip to Australia signed up for an evening observing session in the desert ...only to have it cancelled at the last minute due to rain and threatening and thunderstorms! One one my astronomical friends, when asked on his return if he had seen the various deep-south constellations not visible from here (Crux, etc) replied that he had not seen anything as the sky was poor. Weird weather or what!
Still, on the 13th June 2018, at 0200-0230 BST, I repeated the previous sighting of M22 and M8, and also located M25 (as a resolved star-cluster), the star-cloud of M24, M17 and M16 as fuzzy patches, from my back garden using 10x50 mono c/w grip. Farther north up the Milky Way, the easier to regularly see the" false comet" M11 was observed.
And talking (typing) of comets...there really seems a dearth of binocular comets. and I am eagerly awaiting Comet Wirtanen which hopefully will brightly pop-up from my southern horizon at the end of November (29th November would be good - as it will be my 75th birthday!). However I remember another birthday morning, long ago* when I gazed for two hours through the window at a grey, cloudy sky and was disappointed. [*Checking my records, this lost lunar eclipse took place behind clouds on the 29th November 1993 or 25 years ago!] regards maf