Crescent Moon + star

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Crescent Moon + star

Post by mike a feist »

Sunday 8th July 2018: 0300-0330 BST + 0400-0430 BST. Clear sky, warm with cool breeze. Used Nikon zoom 15-45 spotter from garden. Crescent Moon with Earthshine rising into view between trees in the southeast. Soon noticed a bright star just off the northern cusp of the Moon, and later identified it as Xi (1) Ceti. On the Moon, Mare Crisium was nicely shown in the scope. The Jura Mountains were on the sunset terminator soon to disappear in the long lunar night. A number of camera-only photographs were taken with the camera rested on the top of the telescope. (Also noticed using 8x36 binocular, my first view this apparition of M45, the Pleiades! ) Regards maf.
skyhawk

Re: Crescent Moon + star

Post by skyhawk »

May sound dumb but WHY? the commentary

I could understand if you were making a diary entry or perhaps had added images
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Why not! Most of my postings are essentially diary entries! I would go as far as to say that, with the exception of answers to questions or asking questions, all my entries here are diary entries. If you do not find them of interest then you do not have to read them. I do take the odd photograph just using the camera alone but have so much of a problem posting them here that I rarely do so. My approach to astronomy is rather more skywatching that scientific astronomy. Sorry about the letter j original added to the heading but I am still getting used to this new touch screen tablet! Regards maf.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

skyhawk,

Please stop making personal negative comments.

David
Robin Scagell

Post by Robin Scagell »

This thread is called Observing -- and Mike's contributions are precisely in line with its aim! They are in a long tradition of describing not just the scientific facts but also the circumstances. I appreciate that Skyhawk's remarks are not overtly critical or negative, but their tone does imply criticism.

I also hear comments from people bemoaning the trend towards imaging, and Mike's observations make a change from that trend.

Robin Scagell
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

mike a feist wrote:Why not! Most of my postings are essentially diary entries! I would go as far as to say that, with the exception of answers to questions or asking questions, all my entries here are diary entries. If you do not find them of interest then you do not have to read them. I do take the odd photograph just using the camera alone but have so much of a problem posting them here that I rarely do so. My approach to astronomy is rather more skywatching that scientific astronomy. Sorry about the letter j original added to the heading but I am still getting used to this new touch screen tablet! Regards maf.

Thank you, I did wonder, is it like some draw images rather than take photographs as Patrick Moore did, keeping a diary.

I have asked as a question I will ignore the foolish comment from the other poster.

Thanks
Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you
skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

Robin Scagell wrote:This thread is called Observing -- and Mike's contributions are precisely in line with its aim! They are in a long tradition of describing not just the scientific facts but also the circumstances. I appreciate that Skyhawk's remarks are not overtly critical or negative, but their tone does imply criticism.

I also hear comments from people bemoaning the trend towards imaging, and Mike's observations make a change from that trend.

Robin Scagell
That is why I asked, I know Patrick Moore ALWAYS sketched images even though he could have taken photographs, he had hundreds of diaries.

skyhawk

Post by skyhawk »

David Frydman wrote:skyhawk,

Please stop making personal negative comments.

David

I will ignore the stupid reply.

I asked a question, thankfully the more intelligent saw that and responded.

I asked a question, just because the way I asked is not to your taste grow up, YOU try living with AUTISM as I do.