It is currently Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:24 am

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:00 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Tuesday 10/7/18: Cloudy skies during Monday /a Tuesday night but just before dawn the these broke up. I awoke at about 0340 BST to find the crescent Moon + Earthshine above the distant rooftops and about to disappear behind a nearby tree so took a few camera-only snaps with the camera resting on the open window-frame. Checking the results I noticed a star, about 1/3 rd lunar diameter to the right of the dark limb. Aldebaran! This was at 0342-0345 BST. By then the tree had swallowed up the spectacle, so decamped to the local park with scope on tripod for a final view at 0415 BST. By then the sky was getting too bright for the star to be easily visible. Regards maf.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:15 am 

Do you actually keep a diary ?

How many years

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:25 pm 

A nice observation Mike. I only wish that I had your enthusiasm for rising so early, although you might compensate by going to bed early.
I'm looking forwards to the late summer evenings, when Cygnus and Lyra are overhead and I don't have to stay up too late.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:46 pm 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Yes I do keep a diary. The first astronomical diary goes back to 1990 which started off with nature notes and very soon was taken over by astronomical sightings. The diaries themselves later on were taken apart and all the dead and empty pages were removed to save storage space. All the interesting pages were then hole-punched and rebound with string to make a five year group. The first entry of March 8th 1990 is a entry about my sighting not of an astronomical object but of a rare bird, a Great Spotted Cuckoo. The next, on the same date was of Mercury being seen in binoculars and unaided eye until it set. Comet Austin observations are to be found, with a little drawing of the star-field, on March 26th 1990. And on and on they go. Regards maf.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:20 am 

Thanks

Interesting

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you