"New" Moon

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

"New" Moon

Post by mike a feist »

14/7/18. Saturday. The sky was very clear at sunset so I set out to the nearby football ground/park w other camera bag on one shoulder, binocular case on the other and 60mm Nikon zoom spotter + tripod in my hand. Although I failed to locate Mercury, I was able to follow the 42 hr old crescent Moon from 2115 BST till it set at 2155 BST behind the distant hills. Photographs made by simply resting the camera on the top of the scope, and zooming the camera set on auto. The last few were very successful, showing crescent (no earthshine as sky was too bright) and trees and bushes on the hill.
Regards maf
Last edited by mike a feist on Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john.wheeldon

Re: "New" Moon

Post by john.wheeldon »

Mike

I'm watching out for the crescent moon near to Venus this evening

John W
PST, Antares Sentinel, MC70, Canon 15x45IS
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Hello John, indeed should be a good spectacle. In fact I am just viewing them now in bright daylight although currently too far apart to see together in my small scope. However anyone who reads this should NOT rush outside and scan the sky for these celestial bodies with eyes, or binocular and eyes, or telescope and eyes. Chances are you will blind yourself in the process. WARNING. First you must ensure that you are in the Sun's shadow and that there is no way that you can see the Sun or either you or the Sun will move to put you in sunlight. BEWARE. After sunset they will be closer together and appear much brighter and then of course all danger will have passed. Unless you get over excited and trip over the tripod!! Regards maf.
David Frydman

Post by David Frydman »

Saw Venus and the crescent moon at 20.25 UT this evening in a clear bright sky.
Sunset about 20.11 UT.

With 8x32 binocular and unaided eyes plus glasses.
Separation about 5 degrees.

Unfortunately too many trees, too low and difficult angle to get a photo before they descend below rooftops.
Got a few photos of the moon in a gap between trees branches.

30C today again.

Regards,
David
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Hello Mike, I caught them in 8x32s at about 20.45 UT, above dark horizon cloud. I got my 80mm scope out and by then the Moon was clouded. With only seconds before Venus disappeared I got a view at x165 but managed only a quick, rough phase estimate (approx. 65%) in a dusky field of view at 20.50 UT. Regards to all, Bob
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

Around sunset here the sky in the west was rather invaded by contrails but this soon cleared. I used the 8x36 binoculars in which the two bodies easily fitted ( I agree with David's estimated separation). Took a stroll to the nearby park and managed a number of good photographs from 2133 - 2216 BST after which the Moon was about to disappear behind Southwick Hill.
NB. Over the next week the Moon will be skimming its way bypassing Jupiter and Saturn, I believe by about 4 degrees each time until finally reaching Mars during the Lunar Eclipse. Hoping for clear skies!! Regards maf.
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

Regarding your reference to contrails Mike. Here in the North West, we live under an international air-corridor. On some days, the sky is a vast grid pattern of contrails.
India's prime minister said that he wants to see 100 million Hindus using air travel in five years time. Last week, a press report said that in the next ten years air travel will double. That's a huge increase in pollution.
People are living as if there's no tomorrow, and we can only wonder what the state of the planet and its atmosphere will be in years to come.
brian
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

BrianL
I think the so-called "climate summits" are becoming a non-sense and purely a brain washing exercise for a gullible public to justify all sorts of official scams. Air travel is one example - they tell us that the future of air travel is electric flight but in the meantime that is something for the FUTURE (?). Meantime the air industry MARCHES ON REGARDLESS!
Please excuse my SHOUTING capitals !
But air transport isn't the only on-going nonsense .
When I was an enthusiastic young highway engineer I recall the M62 motorway being claimed to be a new safe reliable all weather route across the Pennines. But it now seems a scary highway in all seasons. In those days it was recognised that motor vehicles travelling at 50 mph used significantly less fuel than travelling at 70 mph . But nowadays many vehicles travel faster than 80 mph on our motorways. When they don't the motorways are snarled up with traffic jams. I understand the Highway Authorities are advocating speed limits of 60mph on sections of motorways involving road-works (in times of light traffic use). That should make things a lot better !!!
If the government were really serious about climate change they would have 50mph speed limits on all motorways etc.
I understand the electrification of northern railways is now likely to be abandoned because someone has realised that the cost of modifying existing bridges hasn't been taken into account of electrification costs.
Sorry not much astronomy in the above - However, what about the UK's future increasing Space travel program? Is this likely to save our planet and avoid future climate change ?.
Electric rockets no doubt.
Best wishes from Cliff
brian livesey

Post by brian livesey »

One point you omitted to say Cliff, was to encourage people to use public transport. :D
brian
mike a feist

Post by mike a feist »

I neither drive nor fly and have always lived more or less within walking distance or bus ride of my workplace. I guess some people might consider this to be a very boring way to live! Still I travel to the Moon, planets and distant stars every clear night with my small telescopes and wait for eclipses, comets, aurorae and meteors to visit me! Regards maf
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Mike & Brian
I completely admire Mike's approach to star gazing. I think it is a much truer form of amateur astronomy than the route I eventually followed myself eg astro-imaging.
With regards public transport, a vast topic and arguably not really subjects for this forum.
Unfortunately public transport is I think generally inadequate for my family, even though we have free use of some facilities. Just one example, using public transport plus a little walking, through a scary city at night, were factors in me ending my membership of my last local astronomical society several years ago now.
Best wishes from Cliff