It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:27 pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:43 pm 

How lucky to have had two clear evenings in succession, and tonight I was able to spot the 3% illuminated crescent Moon. I was out on an evening walk alongside the Trent & Mersey canal, and had the pleasure of witnessing the onset of a particularly impressive twilight.

The sun had set by the time I left home, and a lovely peach glow was beginning to bloom over the western horizon. On the opposite side of the horizon, a Belt of Venus effect was clearly visible. It took me about 30 minutes to walk to a section of the canal where I had a clear view of the western horizon, and by this time there was a dominant orange-blush band spreading low across the horizon, and then radiating upwards into more subtle peach colours that eventually blended with the pale blue of the twilight sky. I find it so relaxing watching the changing skyscape during twilight. I finally spotted the crescent Moon at 6:54pm - a very delicate, pencil thin curve nestling just above the bed of orange light. Standing there, with no one else in sight, looking across a small nature reserve, the world seemed so peaceful.

On my way back I stopped to have a peek at Mars, using an 8x23 binocular, although it is still a very prominent unaided eye object, displaying a pale orange colouration. Saturn was also visible. I often think I can detect a slight elongation to Saturn's disk in an 8x23, but that could be my imagination.

Only afterwards did I realise I hadn't spotted Jupiter - it never occurred to me to look for it, I thought it had already passed from view.

Best wishes, Jeff.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:15 pm 

The slim Moon naked-eye ? What a good observation. Well done. :D

I looked for the Moon n/eye this evening as well, but saw nothing. My excuse is a band of very thin but visible cloud along my west horizon :mrgreen:

regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

Profile Send private message