It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:49 pm

Post subject: Doubles in Aries
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:25 pm 

2018 Oct 20. Some variable star estimates were made early in the evening, but by 21.00 the Moon had lit up the sky, so I turned to “doubles” in Aries between 21.10 and 21.50 UT. The seeing was average (Pickering 4-5) and the constellation was at a moderate altitude. I stopped my 90mm refractor down to 60mm (f15) for three of the stars and only opened up to 90mm (f10) for the tightest pair (1 Arietis). They were a varied bunch, though none showed any colour, except for the primary star of 1 Arietis – a faint yellow tint.

14 Arietis, a 5th mag primary and two and 8th mag companions that lie a couple of degrees north of alpha (Hamal). Tonight at x40, curiously, only the AC components were visible as a very wide pair of very uneven brightness.

Lambda Arietis, a 5th and 7th mag pair a couple of degrees west of Hamal. They were perfectly visible at x23 and very well separated at x40. Some sources make the secondary of 8th mag but to me it looks a whole mag brighter.

1 Arietis is south-west of lambda and here we come to the closest knit pair (just under 3 arc seconds). A 6th and 7th mag pair (although the secondary looks like mag 8 to me), it should be just divided with 60mm, but tonight I only suspected separation with x114 in that aperture. At 90mm it was definite.

Gamma Arietis (Mesarthim), reputedly “discovered” by Robert Hooke, is the showpiece of Aries’ double stars. Well seen at x80, this 4th mag pair of nearly equally bright starlets is separated by about 7.5 arc seconds. It is interesting to see what the least magnification is needed to split them. I could not tell that it was double with 60mm aperture at x23, but the seeing was indifferent. There are reports of success with 20x80 binoculars.
Kind thoughts, Bob

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Doubles in Aries
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:24 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
While digging about in Aries, you could have run your scope over Uranus, which it now not far from the main asterism. I picked it out again at the local astronomy meeting and showed it to a number of members. At present forms a neat V-asterism with a few faintish stars. Reminds me of the V-asterism in Ophiuchus, once known as the constellation of Poniatowski's Bull! Regards maf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:31 am 

Hello Mike, oddly enough I was indeed digging about in the area occupied by the planet, looking for a pair known as Struve 178, well south of gamma Arietis. I didn't spend too long sweeping for the double because the field wasn't visible in my finder due to moonlight. Uranus, however would have been, I think, only a couple of degrees from that double - no bull! Kind Regards, Bob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:25 pm 

Yes Mike, I have confirmed that Uranus is actually within a degree of the double star Struve 178, as seen in my 15x63 binoculars at 21.20 UT tonight, 2018 Oct 21. Best wishes Bob