It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:39 am

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:30 am 

Cloudy & raing here in Carshalton for the Alpha Monocerotids this morning.

There seemed to be an increase in the frequency of meteors on the IOW2 meteor 'radar' a bit after the predicted peak. Difficult to be sure but I would have said around 04:50UTC. At one stage there were 7 echos in 2 minutes.

The Canadian Meteor Radar (https://fireballs.ndc.nasa.gov/cmor-radiants/) seems to show an unnamed radient above Orion somewhere near 126 Tau as far as I can make out.

It is not clear what this shower is it looks quite strong but is not on the IAU list. I don't have last years plots to see if it is an annual occourance and I don't think they are archived on the net.

The attached is the record from this morning - see the note we may have to wait to tommorrow to see any Alpha Mons that were recorded. They should come from a radiant to the East of Orion.

Did anyone get any observations ?

Attachments:
File comment: Note the detections shown are the sum of those over the last day. They may not include any Alpha Mons yet.
skymap-activity-20191122.png
skymap-activity-20191122.png [ 211.59 KiB | Viewed 416 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:21 am 

It was cloud for me, John.... :(

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:35 pm 

If this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHs7ljhQWPA&feature=youtu.be is to be beleived thare were some observed from Tenerife. Space weather.com says 90 but a lot I see seem to be coming from directions other than from the Alpha Mon radiant which is towards the lower left of the images. Around 05:15 Orion is obvious as is Sirius but I have difficulty working out which is Procyon - it might be near the top of the frame ?

There seems to be some enhancement around 05:00 from the correct sort of area but it is difficult to be sure without tracing the meteors.

As for the starlink sattleites around 06:20 perhaps they are best shot down !

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:34 am 

A couple of tips when watching the Video above.

1:play it in HD if possible
2: Slow the playback speed to 0.25 or slower if possible particually around 04:40 when the peak was predicted.
3: The image shows Alpha Mon highlighted with the Yellow Circle. The plate solve is not perfect due to the wide angle lens so Orion is displaced but the fit is good enough for a guide.

See how many Alpha Mons you can count - there is a figure on spaceweather.com but it is not clear if this is only alpha mons.

I was pleasantly suprised that Astrometry.net solved this field - the image quality was poor and it is distorted due to the wide angle lens.

Attachments:
File comment: Plate solved image from the video stream near the time of the predicted peak.
3761332-edit.jpg
3761332-edit.jpg [ 245.52 KiB | Viewed 343 times ]