Venus & Saturn Conjunction

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

nigeljoslin

Venus & Saturn Conjunction

Post by nigeljoslin »

Hiya folks,

In case anyone's missed the fact, these two planets will be visible conjuncting (or something like that) this evening.

They will be low down to the south-west, though, very low from where I live! I shall have to take a look at 4 to 4.30. At least the weather forecast shows promise (clear with cloudy intervals), but I shall have to leave the garden and walk up the hill at the back with my binoculars.

Should be a nice sight, though.

Best of luck,

Nigel
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Re: Venus & Saturn Conjunction

Post by mike a feist »

Venus & Saturn; 9th December 2019; 1645-16??; Clear sky and viewed from the window using 8x36 binoculars. With Saturn in the centre of the fov, Venus was down at roughly the 5 o'clock position and near the edge. Tried using the L/S 60 spotting scope, both almost but not quite fitted the lowest magnification fov. Regards maf.
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

Oh, dash it! The article I read said the 11th! Wrong year, maybe, in a careless moment? Ooops!

Glad you saw it, Mike, and thanks for spotting my error! :lol:
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

Oh hang on....it is the 11th...sorry! I keep being interrupted in the middle of this.

Just ignore my ramblings!
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

I set off up the hill at about 4.15, armed with a compass and my Adler Optic 9x63 binoculars, which sadly have no adapter for a tripod. Finding that the place affording the best view was the golf practice range, I spotted Venus - not hard! :lol:

Coming to a halt beside a thick metal distance-marker post that stood about five and a half feet high, I balanced the binoculars on top of it as I fumbled for my small, red light. What a stroke of luck; I realised that the binoculars were pointing more or less at Venus. Indeed, a slight adjustment gave me a view of both planets.

The view was bewitching, Venus glaring bright and Saturn about half a field of view above and to the right, looking much softer, shaped like a yellow/orange flying saucer as Galileo may have seen it. And just below Venus, the tip of a conifer, which occasionally swayed slightly in the breeze, producing a strange effect – it looked like Venus was moving, rather than the tree. All this in front of a sky tinged with a hint of orange. A fabulous example of what wide-angle, low power optics can present.

I drank in the view. Forty minutes passed by in almost no time. Finally, I tore myself away and walked back towards home, blessed with another view, the full moon above the dark silhuoet of the Cairnsmore of Fleet (our nearest mountain).

My father had asked why I should want to go to that much trouble just to see two blobs in the sky. And now I can reply….because this is living, the adventure of special moments, the feeding of awe.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Saw them in twilight on Monday, on my way home from work. Venus was so bright. Had to look carefully before I could detect Saturn, but I did see it quite clearly after a few minutes. It was a really beautiful sight.

Best wishes, Jeff.