Venus eastern elongation

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

RMSteele

Re: Venus eastern elongation

Post by RMSteele »

2020 Jan 18, 0740 UT. Townsville QLD. 102mm mak f13 x185. Seeing IV - short spells of III. Sky bright, humidity 67%, temp 32c. Nothing unusual appearing in connection with the limb, cusps and disc areas. There did appear to be a slightly darker region adjacent to the terminator, more like a much fainter extension of the terminator over about 15% of the width of the illuminated disc. Hard to describe without over-emphasis and possibly spurious, given the variable seeing. Regards Bob
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Since 4th Jan MMXX, I have continued with my series of 'Venus in Daylight' observations here on the Sussex Coast. A resume is below.
#590. 4/1/MMXX, 1450-1535 UT. Nikon Field scope on tripod , 8x36 bino & L/S 60 Scope.
#591. 10/1/MMXX, 1325-1340 UT. ? Scope.
#592, 12/1/MMXX. 1350-1410 UT, L/S 60 ('Landscout' spotting scope & Nikon 8x36 bino.
#593, 15/1/ MMXX, 1455-1500 UT, L/S 60.
#594, 17/1/MMXX, 1300--1420 and 1545-1555 UT. L/S 60. (at 1555 Sun set behind hill)

The angled eyepiece on the Landscout is preferable to the straight eyepiece on the Fieldscope.
I always ensure that the Sun is hidden from view by the wall of the house for safety before scanning and work out the rough position of Venus from its elongation from the Sun, and of course making day by day sightings one has a clue to start with. Using the lowest zoom magnification [12x] one has a better chance of locating the planet, and one can zoom up later if needed. Cannot of course see the any details on the disc, in fact can hardly see a disc, although later on the when larger, crescent is present, seeing the phase easy.
regards maf
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Hello Mike, nice to hear that you are getting sightings in what must be an unfavourable month in your neck of the woods. My problem here is sweeping the planet up in daylight. The intensity of the Sun here and the humidity (reached 90% around early afternoon) mean that the haze around the Sun extends 90 degrees either side easily and I have only managed to pick Venus out in daylight once in 8x40 bins. It’s evening here and I can see Venus plainly in the twilight. I snapped a pic of it a couple of nights ago and caught a blurry image of a black flying fox in the frame. They look like Dracula when they fly over, but they’re harmless fruit eaters. We have a huge hill to south west and clouds are hiding the ariels on top at the moment - like a scene from The Trollenberg Terror! Kind thoughts, Bob
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

2020 Jan 19 0815 UT. Townsville QLD. 102 mak f13 x185. Seeing Ant III. Sky bright.
Cusps evenly bright, terminator regular in appearance. The limb is bright. Filmy grey shadings fan out from the terminator in both hemispheres, leaving the impression of a faint bright equatorial wedge pointing to the terminator.
Kind thoughts, Bob
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

I was able to spend some time observing this evening - mostly unaided eye, although I did make time for a quick squint through an Olympus 8x40. Venus fascinates me - that blazing beacon of light that is so prominent in the twilight skies. On and off I was watching it until it sank into the horizon. I find my eye drawn it on occasions like tonight.

The clear skies continued longer than predicted, and I had a go at taking some night sky shots with a DSLR. I rarely attempt imaging, as I always get distracted by wanting to spend time observing objects visually, but a friend at work is just embarking on astrophotography, and talk of it had piqued my interest again. I managed some pleasing shots of the Pleiades and Hyades, and also managed to pick up the Andromeda galaxy in a wide field shot.

This image is overexposed, but I like the way Venus stands out so prominently. I love standing under a night sky - even from my light polluted location. I never tire of finding my way around the constellations, and just soaking up the views I have.

I was walking back alongside the Trent & Mersey canal late the other evening, again under clear skies. I normally walk with a super bright torch, but with a mile left to go, and away from any house lights, I just switched it off and walked back quietly with my dog Bella. There wasn't a soul around. It was so relaxing. I stopped and looked around every few minutes - having a quick look at Betelgeuse in the vain hope that it might pop whilst I was watching. Sirius looked very impressive reflected in the gentle rippling of the surface of the canal. It was a really uplifting walk.

Here's to more starry nights.

Best wishes, Jeff.
Attachments
2020-01-20-venus-600x400.jpg
2020-01-20-venus-600x400.jpg (104.34 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Well, it looks like the wet season has commenced, with rain, cloud cover and high humidity for substantial parts of the day. It’s been like that for about a week and Venus observations have ground to a halt after a good run here in Melbourne and Townsville. Hopefully there will be further opportunities before we return to the UK. Kind thoughts to all. Bob
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

2020 Feb 01, 0850 UT. Townsville QLD. 102mm mak f13, x185. Seeing Ant IV. Sky bright twilight. A clear break in the wet season cloud allowed a view of Venus in the early evening. The seeing restricted me merely to making a phase estimate by eye. I make it just sensibly less than three quarter phase, maybe 73%. Nice to see it again, a bright disc overall with no noticeable dimming near the terminator or cusps; however the seeing was too unsteady for any critical observing. Kind thoughts, Bob
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

Nice to read of your observations, Bob. I’ve been watching it regularly, and encouraging friends and family to observe. The proximity to the Moon the other evening prompted a lot of “what’s that bright star?” questions.

I get to stop, stand and stare on occasions on cycle commutes home through countryside, and I have some gorgeous unaided eye views. I love observing it in the peace and quiet, it makes the observation a little bit more special for me.

Have a great weekend. Best wishes, Jeff.
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

Hello Jeff, there is something special about the knack of pointing out Venus to people in the twilight. It’s almost like a conjuring trick to reveal that beauty on a blank sky when nobody else notices it: the quality of it’s light, the sheer luminosity is fascinating, bewitching. No wonder it was associated with Aphrodite/Venus. Here in the southern tropics it is higher in the evening sky, yet when it gets dark and lower it is unusually dim then, because of the tremendous humidity. Today’s view was caught while a rare, clear interval came over during a family barbecue! My own continuous spell of observations seems to be broken for the time being, but I hope you continue to be blessed with evening views of the mysterious white world in the west.
Kind Regards, Bob
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

2020 Feb 02, 0720 UT. Townsville QLD. 102 mak f13 x185. Seeing varying from Ant IV to III. Sky bright. Venus was well defined in spells of better seeing. The limb was an extremely narrow bright arc, the cusps were fairly evenly matched in brightness and the terminator appeared even and softly toned compared to the general disc hue. I repeatedly gained the impression of several, maybe 3, faint bands of shading arcing away from the terminator and crossing the disc in curvilinear filaments. Very difficult to hold and coming and going in the variable seeing. Again, observed in integrated light, no filters being available.
Kind thoughts, Bob
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

When ever possible (depending on the weather) continue to follow VENUS prior to sunset. from my garden, as below;
#595; 18th Jan. MMXX; 1400-1510 UT. cold & clear , some cirrus. using L/S 60mm.
#596; 19th Jan. MMXX; 1410-1510 UT; cold & clear blue sky, L/S 60mm [Set at 1935 UT).
#597; 20th Jan. MMXX; 1555 UT, when cloud sheet finally cleared just before sunset, 8x36,
#598; 21st Jan. MMXX; 1530-1555 UT, (Sunset behind hill 1600),L/S 60 then 8x36 bino.
#599; 28th Jan. MMXX; 1555 UT, very short glimpsed using L/S 60, in clouds.
#600; 29th Jan. MMXX; 1500-1535 UT, some cirrus, Crescent Moon then Venus, in L/S60.
#601; 1st Feb. MMXX; 1505-1605 UT; Acuter 65a (15X), sky-blue + cloud, (sunset 1620).
NB.
This series of "Venus in Daylight" observations with small instruments goes back many years. The first few are listed below;.
#1; 6th Oct. 1991; 1015-1245 ;using tree as a guide, followed Venus into daylight unaided eye + 8x25.
#2; 23rd Oct. 1996; 1015-1245; Using trees as a guide; 8x20.
#3; 8th Nov.1996; 1230 ; 8x20, from Foredown Tower.
#4; 18th Nov. 1996; 1200 ; 10x50.
#5; 13th Aug. 1997; for 1 hour; 10x30; at culmination -offset from Sun.

regards maf
Last edited by michael feist on Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

I like the detail that you have in your observations, Mike, especially the sequential numbering for an individual object. I do keep a note in my diary, but I can’t say how many times I have observed a specific object. I must confess to being a bit envious, as I’ve often wondered how many times I have made an observation of something, especially objects like Mercury or Neptune.

Similarly with you, Bob, I notice you record the seeing conditions according to the scale. Very commendable. It makes the observation more interesting to read back later.

Best wishes, Jeff.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

I keep sequential numbers for
Venus in Daylight ; Neptune and Uranus ; Comets and Asteroids
and tabulated lists of Eclipses observed and of Instruments.
More details can be found in the diaries themselves of course.
regards maf (skywatcher and bit of an obsessive lister! When I presented my researches into Camera Obcuras, to the local History Museum, I described myself as "a local lad who liked making lists!)
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

2020 Feb 03, 0735 UT. Townsville QLD. 102mm mak x185. Seeing somewhat in between Ant IV and III I’d say - the image was fairly distinct but was constantly moved bodily by atmospheric convection with no settled moments. Sky bright. The cusps were pretty evenly matched in illumination and were regular. The terminator was even but rather broad and indistinct and the illuminated part of the disc appeared softly shaded over about a third of its diameter away from the terminator, brightening across the rest of the disc to the crisply defined bright limb. The seeing was not settled enough to make out any more delicate features than these broad tones.
Kind regards Bob
RMSteele

Post by RMSteele »

2020 Feb 04, 0725 UT. Townsville QLD. 102mm mak x185, seeing Ant III with standstill moments. Sky bright. Venus is noticeably much larger in the x185 field of view compared with December’s appearance, A beautiful broadly lit globe presents itself to the telescope, hemmed with a soft grey terminator, even throughout its length; limb not too bright; well defined cusps pretty even in brightness and without any obvious bright capping. The northern part of the illuminated disc disc looks slightly duller overall than its southern counterpart, and in the south I gain the distinct impression of alternating grey and white streaks of banding so filmy and delicate that, as is often the case with our coy sister world, one is never quite certain of taking her at face value!
Kind thoughts, Bob