It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:22 am

Post subject: Moonstruck
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:14 pm 

The waning gibbous Moon looked supremely serene in the calm frosty air early this morning. There are some of us who prefer to view the Moon with the unaided eye and through the eyepiece, than the view we would have if we were actually standing on the lunar surface. In the latter case we'd experience the monotony of walking across endless rubble fields; in the former case, we witness a magic shadow show.
As the Terminator creeps inexorably across the face of the Moon, familiar features come into view, but they have a freshness, almost has if we were seeing them for the first time: the brilliant white peaks of a mountain range, with the slopes still in darkness; the thin white arcs of illuminated crater rims with the crater bowls still black as ink; the sinuous rills; the wave-like undulations of the lunar plains, with their subtle shadings from white to grey to black and splashed with crater rays... .

Last edited by brian livesey on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Moonstruck
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:49 pm 

BrianL
I'm inclined to agree with you, but with inevitable variations on the theme.
I've got to say, the Moon was never my favourite astronomical object. Mainly I think because I used to like sketching my astro-subjects - but I found the Moon too complicated.
I liked the planets probably because I felt happy with the view through my scope, not too complicated to draw. Yes I read some advice saying concentrate on only drawing small bits of the Moon - but once I got going I seemed to get obsessed with trying to sketch everything I observed in the eyepiece (without moving the scope about of course - if that makes sense).
I never really fancied going to the Moon myself. Actually space travel does not interest me, unless we get round to moving people to other planets to reduce over-crowding on Earth !
But funnily enough, I think Mars was my favourite planet to observe, because it provided a fairly comfortable amount of surface detail in my scope for me to sketch and was a very varied object to observe. So I would have liked to visit Mars but only to actually observe the Earth from there (then get home quick). I suppose it might be nice to visit the Moon just to look back at the Earth. - but otherwise walking on the Moon wouldn't really interest me.
Best wishes from Cliff

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:07 pm 

I find the Last Quarter Moon in the early morning considerable more interesting in small optics than the First Quarter Moon. It so much smoother with all that 'Ocean' on view. Overall though I prefer the Crescent Moons with Earthshine and rising or setting Full Moons. It has been many decades since I have done any lunar drawings...not since I had that large reflector in the early '60s. My foray into Solar Observing [ now dead, with the dead star] ran aground mainly due to the difficulty in drawing all different details once I started using the PST scope.
As for planetary observing I prefer Venus although my small instruments can reveal little more than phase and location on that or any other of the planets. I do not think that I have ever seen the Red Spot on Jupiter! Regards maf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:40 am 

Hello Brian,

I'd brave the endless slagheaps for the view of Earth.....

.....and the superb dark sky! :lol: