M37, M38 unaided Eye!

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

nigeljoslin

M37, M38 unaided Eye!

Post by nigeljoslin »

As I only had twenty minutes for observing last night, and there have been several successive nights of irresistible great clarity, I popped out quickly with astronomy binoculars that I hadn't used for some time.

Neck strain aside, it was a beautiful experience, the Pleiades in particular. But the real surprise came after looking at the three Auriga clusters M37, M36 and M38 - I lowered the binoculars from my eyes to find that M37 and M38 were unaided eye objects, something I have never noticed before.

It can be surprising what you can see if your eyes are led!

Happy observing,

Nigel
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
brian livesey

Re: M37, M38 unaided Eye!

Post by brian livesey »

With such good sky clarity Nigel, did you notice a nebulous glow around Merope in the Pleiades?
brian
nigeljoslin

Re: M37, M38 unaided Eye!

Post by nigeljoslin »

The Pleiades did seem generally fuzzy, but beyond that I didn't home in on any particular star.

Thanks for pointing out about Merope, though. I've put that on my list for next time - try detailed binocular and unaided eye Pleiades, and do a unaided eye star count!

The Pleiades is a wonderfully nebulous sight through the Dob, even though I can't get it all in at 66x.
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars