Visually entailed comets

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

michael feist

Visually entailed comets

Post by michael feist »

Following my previous mention of how most of the comets I have seen [in small instruments] were not seen with a tail, I checked my diaries. In fact about 20% of comets seen did show a distinct tail. These are listed below;

Ikeya-Zhang [153P] ...which showed a distinct tail.
Hyakutake [C1996B2]..tail about 4 degrees, rotating round the pole.
Hale-Bopp [C/1995O1] ... developed into a prominent tail.
Linear [1999S4] ...on the last sighting when it showed a short tail.
McNaught [C/2006P1] ...and the tail 2 or 3 degrees long.
Neat [C/2002V1] ...and an obvious tail was visible.
Panstarrs [C/2001L4]...as was a short tail.
Ison [C/2013S1]...with a smudge for a tail.
Loveday [C/2013R1]...and a short smudge for a tail.
Utsumomiya [C/2002F1]...showing a short fan-shaped tail.
Neowise [C/2020F3] ...with a tail across the fov.

regards mike [the watcher]
Last edited by michael feist on Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff.stevens

Re: Visually entailed comets

Post by jeff.stevens »

Interesting list, Mike. There’s a few on there I didn’t get to spot. Didn’t get to see McNaught - am I right in thinking there was only a small window of observation for northern hemisphere observers?

I can’t recall Ison or Utsumomiya. I’ll have to dig back through my notes and check.

Some memorable ones in the list though. Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp - what a visual treat they were.

Best wishes, Jeff
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Jeff, typo corrected for McNaught, not 2000P1 but 2006P1
Comet McNaught [C/2006P1]. I only saw this twice, on the 10th and 11th January 2007. This was indeed marvellous from the antipodes. First sighting was from the Foredown Tower Viewing Gallery during twilight at 1634 hrs over the sea and to the right of Venus, using 80mm refractor. The tail was obvious and appeared to lengthen as the sky darkened. It was also seen in 7x50 binocular; and at 1650 hrs it was visible to he unaided eye. The head was brilliant and glowed yellow and the maximum length of the tail was between 2 and 3 degrees. It was finally lost at 1725 hrs. Spectacular! On the 11th , clouds broke enabling a second view of the comet. Seen for a short while after 1620 hrs using 80mm refractor and 12x50 from Foredown Tower.
[ps. on the 10th, While waiting to search for the comet, at 1618hrs we watched the last segment of the Sun disappear behind the sea horizon and saw a brilliant-green colour...the green flash. [in 7x50s.]

Comet Ison was that comet that was heralded to be 'comet of the Century' but fell apart. Just saw it once from Foredown Hill

Comet Utsunomiya [C/2002F1, was seen just once on 18th April 2002. While making an early morning observation of Comet Ikeya-Zhang from the bedroom window, it occurred d to me that Comet Utsunomiya would be nearby and at 0435hrs turned my 50mm spotter on the right spot and came across another, smaller copy of Ikeya-Zhang. I was able to switch back and forth from one to the other. Incredible!
regards mike[the watcher]
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

Considering my mention of those two binocular comets see at the same time, similar sightings were made on a number of occasions.
During my single observation of Comet Ison [C/2013 S1] , Comet Lovejoy [C/2013R1], was also in the sky and observed.
On another occasion, Comet Neat [C/2001Q4] and Comet Linear [C/2003K4] were seen in the sky at the same time.
And two separate components, fragment 'B' and 'C', of the broken-up Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 [73P] were seen as individual objects and not in the same fov on a number of occasions!
regards mike [the watcher]