Comet Erasmus (C/2020 S3)

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: Guy Fennimore, joe, Brian

jeff.stevens

Comet Erasmus (C/2020 S3)

Post by jeff.stevens »

According to SpaceWeather.com, comet Erasmus has brightened to 7th magnitude as it approaches the sun, and is an “easy” telescopic target. They have some links to finder charts on their page.

Best wishes, Jeff.
nigeljoslin

Re: Comet Erasmus (C/2020 S3)

Post by nigeljoslin »

Hello Jeff and others, I tried for this early this morning, but it is just below Venus and just beyond me! By the time Venus rises sufficiently, the light level does too.

I noticed that quite a few comets last year were unfavourably positioned in this way!

I had my first moon-free session last night from my new abode. I feared greater light pollution as I'm now in the town rather than at its edge (albeit in a raised position) but I was pleasantly surprised. Whilst there was more sky whitening low down, higher up was the same good old view, with the Milky Way a tumble of detail and M31 and the Sword Handle clusters clear unaided eye objects.

Good times will be had; I just need to build that observatory!

Smiling, Nigel
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars
jeff.stevens

Post by jeff.stevens »

That’s good to hear you still have a fabulous view of the night sky, Nigel.

I’m guessing it will become increasingly difficult to spot this comet now, but well worth a try.

An observatory sounds a great project. I do envy anyone who has such a place in their garden.

Best wishes, Jeff.
michael feist

Post by michael feist »

According to BAA comets page Comet Erasmus is now 6th mag BUT only visible between 15 degrees North and 20 degrees South and is NOT visible from Britain. Typical!! regards a rather disappointed maf.
nigeljoslin

Post by nigeljoslin »

Thanks, Jeff... :) The fun will continue!

Yes Mike, I did notice how many comets last year were either just too low or involved getting up at 4 a.m. to se them because they were in Scorpius or Sculptor or somewhere like that!

Best wishes, Nigel
Skywatcher 350P f4.65, Skywatcher StarTravel 102 f5, Adler Optik 9x63 binoculars