Don't forget Mercury in the Morning

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

JohnM

Don't forget Mercury in the Morning

Post by JohnM »

There is a good oppertunity to observe Mercury in the pre-sunrise hour for the next two weeks. It should be in the SE from around 06:00. It pays to get a good idea of the elevation and direction from a planaterium programme so you can estimate where it might be.

Suggest that you use a pair of binoculars to search for it but it should be visible easily to the unaided Eye when you have located it. When I have found it before with binoculars my normal thoughts are 'how did I miss that with my unaided eye'.

You need a good S to E horizon as it will only be a few degrees above the horizon before the sky becomes too bright.

BEWARE of the Sun rising and accidently looking at it with your Binoculars as it will be quite close. As soon as the Sun rises STOP !
Engineer @ Work - Astronomer @ Play
astrotones

Post by astrotones »

Thanks for the heads up John must admit i had forgotten all about it :shock: ...

I'll be trying ASAP when clouds have gone.

Regards

James :D
JohnM

Post by JohnM »

I got up just before 6 this morning to view Mercury and the thin crescent Moon. Good views of the crescent Moon with lots of Earthshine.

Also saw Mercury - first spotted through the branches of a tree !

I took some images which I need to sort & process.

Did anyone else suceed this morning ?

John
Engineer @ Work - Astronomer @ Play
astrotones

Post by astrotones »

Thanks to your heads up John i remembered to be up for this and very pleased i did Wonderful sight :)

Earthshine was just magical here.Mercury looked good in my 6"Refractor and
10mm ep.
James