Moon and Mars

Here's the place for any sights you wish to remark on

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

T Russell

Moon and Mars

Post by T Russell »

Despite heavy cloud managed to see Moon and Mars (briefly) less than 2 degrees apart around 22.00 last night. A nice sight in 10x50s.

Tom
Mike Feist

Post by Mike Feist »

Sussex completely blanketed by heavy, grey continuous low cloud for a few days / nights now. Quite damp and horrible.
MF
AJ

Post by AJ »

Welcome to the Gloom Club Mike North Wales has been socked in and rained on continually for days/nay weeks now I've been seriously thinking of flogging all my Astro equipment and taking up Scuber Diving. :roll:

AJ.
"The Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend

200mm f/5.91 Dobsonian Sky Watcher, 150mm Dobsonian, 114mm Celestron Short Newt, 10x50 Bino's x2pairs, 2No Digi Cams, 2no 35mmSLRs, Acuter Digital Imager.
Sky Watcher Mac/Cass 127 on EQ3-2
FinePix S5700 Digie Cam
Hampshire Astronomer

Post by Hampshire Astronomer »

What is going on with all this cloud???

Seems to be never ending :-(

Dave
David Scanlan

Director SPA Variable Star section

http://www.popastro.com/variablestar/index.php
MichaelAzzopardi

Post by MichaelAzzopardi »

Absolutely typical that as soon as I "get into astronomy", it's nigh on impossible to see anything bar clouds! Typical! ;)
Canon 400D
Absolute Newbie! ;)
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

MichaelAzzopardi wrote:Absolutely typical that as soon as I "get into astronomy", it's nigh on impossible to see anything bar clouds! Typical! ;)
I know the feeling! Just managed to get a gap in the clouds for the first time this year. Didn't have time to use a 'scope but I got some fairly good views of Saturn. First time I've ever seen it, and through binos too! :D

Tony
TonyP

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P 203/1200mm (f/5.9) Dobsonian Reflector
Celestron NexStar 4SE 102/1325mm (f/13) Maksutov-Cass
Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Binos
robin butland

Post by robin butland »

Well spotted Tony. You beat me to it!
Seeing is supposed to be better in the Winter isn't it? Of course, that's only any good if you can actually see anything! What ever happened to those clear frosty nights we used to experience. Last Winter was the same, only half a dozen or so hard frosts in this area. And a few days ago, we had the warmest January night on record - ever. 12 degrees I think it was. Here's looking forward to those balmy summer evenings, with their poor seeing, mosquitos and not properly dark before midnight, skies.
Regards, Robin.
C1970 Charles Frank 8.5" F7.5 Newt., Intes-Micro MN68 on Fullerscopes MK4, 1960's 3" F16 Refractor, C1890's 3" F15 Cooke Refractor.
TonyP

Post by TonyP »

robin butland wrote: Seeing is supposed to be better in the Winter isn't it?
I'm not sure of the actual answer to that, but I suppose there is a scientific answer out there somewhere! I would probably say that seeing is better in winter, mainly because the earth doesn't get hot during the day so the thermal currents in the stmosphere are reduced.

Having said that, my very best observation session was a few years ago in Cumbria, on a hot summer night. The Milky Way was really clear and detailed, even without a 'scope.
TonyP

Skywatcher Skyliner 200P 203/1200mm (f/5.9) Dobsonian Reflector
Celestron NexStar 4SE 102/1325mm (f/13) Maksutov-Cass
Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Binos
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

Yes, the seeing is much better in winter as the night sky is much darker than in summer when the nights are also shorter and lighter. :wink:
Hawk (yes, that's my real 1st name)
Skywatcher Explorer 150P
Nikon D2x