It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:18 pm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:59 pm 

Last night I went back to one of favourite haunts to shoot some time lapse, star trails, animated star rails and some nightscapes. It sounds like a lot but all of these are done from the same data. I got to Ribblehead station at about 2:30pm which left me plenty of time to have a cup of coffee at the Station Inn before setting off for the viaduct where I was based for the night. In all I shot 6 time lapse clips from which I also made a couple of animated star trails, star trail images and some single image nightscape shots. I was using a Sony A7Sii with a Samyang 12mm f2.8 fisheye lens and all the exposures were 40 seconds at f2.8 with ISO varying between 1000, 6400 and 8000. For the other clips I used my Sony A7iii with Samyang 24mm f1.4 and all exposures were 20 seconds at f1.4 and ISO 1000 and 6400. Even though the cameras aren't astro modified I found that on the one clip showing the milky way moving across the viaduct I could easily make out the North America Nebula as well as Andromeda galaxy which I thought was pretty good for a 20 second exposure. In all I took a total of about 2,600 images between 5:30pm and 5:30am. It was very clear with no wind during the night but very cold and frosty, during one of the clips you can actually see a puddle in the foreground icing over. From downloading all the data from my cameras to uploading to youtube took me about 6 hours.

The video can be seen at the link below and it is available in HD and 4K (4K is much better)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OmT577aEwk

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:55 pm 

Wow! a lot of work :) . Nice results.

Thanks for sharing this with us,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

Profile Send private message