Nearest starburst galaxy to us, IC 10 by David Moth

Photos, sketches and other images by SPA members

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

astroeyes

Nearest starburst galaxy to us, IC 10 by David Moth

Post by astroeyes »

Deep in the heart of Cassiopeia lies the nearest starbust galaxy to us. IC 10 is a member of the local group and is only 4.5 MLy away from us. Because it is a dwarf galaxy and because we have to peer through dust clouds in our own galaxy to see it, it is not well known or much observed by amateurs. Not surprisingly it has a large number of very luminous stars and starforming regions which can just be seen in my image.
Dont expect to see much, if anything through the eyepiece - this is a very faint galaxy, about magnitude 13.5. Even worse, it's surface brightness is incredibly low at around 17.3 magnitudes per square arcminute, making it the faintest object I have ever tried to image.
My image, which was acquired and processed entirely in AstroArt3 on September 25th from Weymouth between 10pm and midnight, shows little detail except a few HII regions and an area of dark dust cloud towards the bottom of the image. There appears to be no resolvable structure to the galaxy and in that respect it is a typical irregular dwarf galaxy.
This image consists of 75 x 60 second unguided exposures colour converted, summed and noise reduced in AstroArt. It represents the limits of my patience and imaging ability with my present setup!
Hope you find it of some interest.
All the best,
David

Attachments
ic10bproc.jpg
ic10bproc.jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Last edited by astroeyes on Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orion Optics DX250
Starlight Xpress SXV H9C ccd camera
Skysensor 2000 for tracking and GOTO
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear David
Tremendous! A wonderful pic. A really big long job and a terrrrifffffic effort.
Best of luck from Cliff
astroeyes

Post by astroeyes »

Well thank you Cliff. I very much appreciate your comments.
Very best wishes,
David
Orion Optics DX250
Michael Hezzlewood

Post by Michael Hezzlewood »

Hi David,

Love the image of IC10, it is excellent, as is the informative write-up that accompanies it.

I also took a look at your web site, and have to say I am amazed at the quality and quantity of the deep sky images that you have produced. They are very impressive and are a credit to your 'patience and imaging ability'.

If you haven't already e-mailed your deep sky images to Darren Bushnall, the DS section director, I think you should, as they are superb and are worthy of publication in the societies literature, where they would encourage others to have a go at imaging these objects for themselves.

All the very best,

Mike

PS, Great image of Mars.
Mike.
Director SPA Planetary Section.
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Mike
I totally agree with your comments anout David's images. In my opinion MX5-Cs are not the easiest of cameras to get really good astro-pics with but David shows what can be done. Fabulous!
Best of luck from Cliff
astrotones

Post by astrotones »

Excellent image David, a tough nut to crack :D
mapofthedead

Post by mapofthedead »

Thanks David, excellent image :)
305mm F/4.9 Revelation Reflector
114mm F/7.9 Meade Reflector
102mm F/4.9 Sky Watcher Refractor
66mm F/5.9 William Optics Refractor
astroeyes

Post by astroeyes »

Thank you everyone. I'm glad you liked IC10.
Michael, thanks for those compliments. I'll send a few images to Darren then and see what he makes of them.
Cliff, I've only ever owned the MX5-C, which I love to bits, though I guess it's getting a bit dated now. I come to astro-imaging after a career in scanning electron microscopy, so I had a knowledge of imaging and processing photographic images, albeit a while ago now. I put any success I've had in astro-imaging done to great equipment, reasonable skies and a lot of time spent in trial and error working out some sort of technique that works for me!! There have been a lot of failures! Moving to AstroArt was a bit of a revelation but only after I'd learnt the basics using the SX native software first.
Thanks again, all the best,
David
Orion Optics DX250