saturn last night

Photos, sketches and other images by SPA members

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

meademan

saturn last night

Post by meademan »

i took this the other night still cant get the results i want, when it happens ill know it, when i get my new ten inch scope maybe then it will improve, Neil Image

much brighter to bring the grey crepe ring out close to the planet,

moonie

Post by moonie »

Oh wow is all I can say :shock:
Brian

Post by Brian »

Neil,

I reckon you are suffering from the indifferent UK seeing. Otherwise you would be getting results like Chris Go in Cebu City:

http://saturn.cstoneind.com/

Great Effort! 8)

ATB,
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
Themightyimp

Post by Themightyimp »

All I can say is.WOW.
Skywatcher Explorer 150mm reflector
Pentax K100D DSLR
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Dear Neil
Lovely pics of Saturn.
Best wishes from Cliff
Michael Hezzlewood

Post by Michael Hezzlewood »

Great belt detail and the rings are wonderful. You've caught the contrast effect of Terby's white spot perfectly as the rings touch the globe shadow.

There are very few imagers who regularly produce better images than these from the UK, they are a credit to you.

Best wishes,

Mike
Mike.
Director SPA Planetary Section.
meademan

Post by meademan »

Many thanks everyone for the kind comments, and Micheal your comments certainly lifted my spirits,

Brian thank you for the link, ive seen chris go's site, great work he does, and i agree im sure i could do much better in cebu city, i have seen work like chris go's from the uk, but sites in the uk can vary wildly, and im sure my site isnt very good, though depending on what side i image, the results can vary ( at the back of my house the sky is a tad more stable, in the other direction there is a busy main road and factorys ) but im stubborn i just cant except that i will never get better results, so i will keep trying, my new scope im getting should give me more resolution, and more light to play with, though the scope will be affected even more by poor seeing.Thanks again for the positive comments guys. maybe im doing better than i think.
Neil
Vega

Post by Vega »

Hi Neil

Fantastic. I can only dream of pruducing such images. But just so I know how "out of my league" it is :lol: , where were they taken? and with what equipment ?

Vega
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |
meademan

Post by meademan »

Vega wrote:Hi Neil

Fantastic. I can only dream of pruducing such images. But just so I know how "out of my league" it is :lol: , where were they taken? and with what equipment ?

Vega
Hi Vega well dont worry about where they was taken my site isnt very good, so i dont think you will have any worrys there, ( crayford in kent ) the equipment is a different matter, i use a meade 7 inch maksutov cassegrain, that has a focal ratio F15 so its a very high magnification scope suited to this kind of thing, i had a 6 inch bresser refractor that didnt really come close to the performance of the meade, the veiws were ok, just more blurry and with unnatural colours,

If you wanted to try with your refractor, i would advise using something like a fringe killer filter to help with the false colour achromatic refractors produce, and get a philips spc 900 nc webcam, processing can make a big difference, done badly the images can look awful, so a little bit of learning is required, but a 8 inch newtonian can outperform the 7 inch im using, so if you ever want to upgrade ? a 8 inch f8 would be good ( orion optics are selling them on sale at the moment im buying a ten inch. hope this helps Vega, if you need any tips just ask Neil
Vega

Post by Vega »

Ah 7" Mak ... that explains a lot, nice :wink: . Your the 2nd person to advise on a fringe killer, definately my next investment. I've also heard a minus violet can work wonders for achromats, is this true? (as they are more expensive than fringe killers).

As for an upgrade, finances, storage and 'moving the scope to the garden' become a problem when I go up to 6" and beyond (EQ mounted). I am planning on a lightbrige 10" dob purley for viewing though.

Vega
Evostar Skywatcher 120/1000mm Refractor, Motor Driven EQ3.2 Mount.
Skyliner 250PX, EQ6 GOTO Synscan Mount
10x50 Bressner Bins, Canon EOS1000D, Canon S30
Total Lunar Eclipse 2018 | Comet Watch | My Astro-photography |
astrotones

Post by astrotones »

Hi Neil,

Great images, the last one i played with see what ya think mate?

Aligned the RGB channels a little better and also the levels.

James :D
Brian

Post by Brian »

astrotones wrote:Hi Neil,

Great images, the last one i played with see what ya think mate?

Aligned the RGB channels a little better and also the levels.
James :D
Well, that's certainly saved an air fair to Cebu City 8). Excellent tweak!
Brian
52.3N 0.6W
Wellingborough UK.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed
meademan

Post by meademan »

hi astrotones i like the deep colours on the globe, but the rings have now taken on a unatural colour, purple, red, theres a lot of false colour in the rings which is why i understated the colours, my rings look blue white which isnt right either, but the false colour although present in my image is not as obviouse, so pro and cons i think, but as i say i do like the look of the globe, you have done, (They are indeed very chris go colours Brian )

would you like to try the raw stack i could send it to you ? its better to work with, maybe you could get the colours on the globe but keep the rings a lot whiter, let me know if your interested and ill send you the image Many thanks Neil
Michael Hezzlewood

Post by Michael Hezzlewood »

Hi Neil and James,

Your images are excellent and I would love to be able to publish them in the gallary of the spring issue of Syzygy, the SPA planetary section news letter. To do this, you would need to foreward your images to www.planets@popastro.com. Previous issues of Syzygy can be downloaded from the SPA main web site, or SPA members can contact the section for a printed copy to be posted to them.

If either or both of you would like to contribute your images to the section, they would be most welcome, as would anybody elses.

Keep em coming!

Mike
Mike.
Director SPA Planetary Section.
meademan

Post by meademan »

Micheal im flattered you would want to use the images, so i will send some soon. I want to talk to james about the processes he used for the colours on the globe, so when im happy with some final results ( im never happy BTW lol ) i will certainly send some, i take it you just want the saturn images ? I also shoot the moon, so if you would like to take a look heres my very basic website, not sure if you have seen it ? many thanks Micheal. Neil

http://www.lunarimageskent.piczo.com/