It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:50 pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:03 pm 

Hi my head is getting a bit mashed now with info and its starting to get mixed up when I do a porla alignment do I put Polaris in the small circle and what do I set my RA time to do I put it to 0 or do I put it to the time I'm doing my set up or do I set it to some other time help would be most appreciated

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:08 am 

Hi Speedy,
Not 100% sure on this, but my understanding (and how I use mine when I do have my scope out!) is to set the polar alignment with polar-finding scope (have a look at to make sure you're happy - http://www.astronomysource.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Atlas_3-475x465.jpg). Once your polar axis points to the north star, then move your telescope to view an object in the sky (star better as these don't move much!).
I tend to use Deneb (alpha-Cygni) as this is bright and easily found due to the nature of the constellation (the cross-shape).
I then know that this is at a "sky position" of RA20h41m, Dec 45^ 17'. Using this, set the rings on the telescope to these positions and then when going to look for another object, provided the RA/Dec values of this new object are noted, simply swing the telescope around watching these dials and the scope should be pointing reasonably well to where you want!
(So setting polar alignment is first, then set the clocks to whatever they need to be - RA for polar is 2h30m, but due to the Dec=89^, setting RA requires more thought and the error in position of scope could be large, hence me setting off-axis.)
Hope I've understood correctly and good luck!

x2 Barlow

And for the Astrophotos!
Nikon D5100 & T-mount for scope

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:36 pm 

Thank you very much I will give it a go and let you know how I get on

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:11 pm 

Hi Speedy.

Yes, polaris goes into the little circle offset from the centre spot. This is because Polaris circles the north pole, which is represented by that spot.

You don't need to use the RA scale when polar aligning. Just use the date/longitude circle which is around the polarscope eyepiece. Set the date/longitude then move the whole mounting using the altitude and azimuth adjusters to bring Polaris into that little circle. Job done really.

Polar alignment aligns the mounting with the pole. You can do it without the optics being on the mounting, as the optics are not aligned with the pole, the mounting is :) . I fact, if you have heavy optics, it's better to align the mounting without the extra weight of the optics, which can place great strain on the altitude adjuster screws in particular - they have been known to bend :shock:

HTH a bit,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed