It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:43 am

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:34 am 

Hi Guys,

This is my first post and yes, i am that "NEW guy"! so please go easy on me :)

I am located in Wales UK.
I am looking at purchasing a scope, it will be my first "proper" scope.

My farther bought a cheapo scope a couple of years ago, he never used it. One day he gave it to me, i set it up in the back garden... even though it was a poor scope, i was fascinated at the detail of the moon... so this is where i am now :)

I have always had a big love for astronomy! so time to buy a reasonably decent one...

I want to use the scope for looking at planets primarily with the thought of looking at some deeps space also.

I have been looking at the Celestron 130 SLT and Celestron 102 SLT
I can't make my mind up between these two, the only thing that makes me question the 130 SLT, is, from what i can gather, you can't use it in the dusk? needs to be in pitch black, where as the 102 SLT can be used any any time during the day/night... correct me if I'm wrong.

Are there any others that can better these for this price point?
I don't necessarily require Go-To, so if there is a scope that gives better optics for the same money, I would be inclined to go for that instead as I am willing to get a diagram of the sky or an app on my phone!

Anyway, any advice would be warm welcomed.

Thanks

Gareth

P.S. I have called FLO as I am looking to order, awaiting their call back 
Initially looking at the 130 SLT and Barlow eye piece but this is open to change.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:00 pm 

Hi Gareth and welcome :D

Having decided on this type of GoTo mounting I think you are right to go for as much aperture as possible. With aperture comes fainter objects and improved resolution, and the Skywatcher/Celestron 130mm Newtonian optics have proven to be good. Having said that, the 102mm refractor optics are also good - I have the Helios version of the 102mm f5 from the year 2000 and it is a good general purpose low(ish) power/widefield instrument , rather like half of a large aperture binocular I suppose.

It's the first time I've seen the comment about not being able to use a Newtonian telescope in dusk (and dawn?) conditions, and I don't agree I must admit. Any telescope will give reduced contrast in conditions of bright sky background admittedly, but you will be able to see the Moon, Venus, even Jupiter in a blue sky even in the day. The views are likely to be poor though. Just a word about the Sun, keep away from it unless you have a full-aperture solar filter fitted to your 'scope and know which other precautions to take.

Regards,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:57 pm 

Hi Gareth,

Firstly a warm welcome to the SPA. I have to say reading through the first half of your post took me straight back to the days of my first telescope. A family friend bought me a little 40mm terrestrial refractor on a shaky table top tripod for my 10th or 11th birthday. I remember balancing the telescope precariously on a couple of small tables in order to bring it to a height where I could look through it with reasonable comfort.

Nevertheless I managed to see the craters of the Moon, satellites of Jupiter and the Pleiades through it. Very crude yes but at the time it was the best telescope in the world to me.

In terms of recommendation I would point you to another telescope which FLO are offering

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsoni ... onian.html

This is a little cheaper than the two Celestrons you mention. The 200p offers a generous 8in aperture and this fits conveniently onto a compact dobsonian mount. There is also the Skyliner 150p which comes in at under £200 and still offers a respectable 6" F8 optical system. Either would offer a very good all round scope which would be ideal for the stage that you are at. GOTOs are nice but I always recommend manual scopes to start with as the onus is on you to learn the constellations find objects in the sky yourself.

Obviously there is always the option of going along to your local astronomy society where they will be happy to demo the telescopes they have and point out the pros and cons of each before you commit yourself to a purchase.

I would also echo Brians comment about the use of telescopes at dusk.. For objects like Venus which is always very bright you can often get a better view during dusk because the lighter sky background reduces the glare and allows you to see the disk more clearly. Same applied to an extent for Jupiter.