It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 4:16 am

Post subject: Meade ETX-80AT-TC
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:32 pm 

I have had this 'scope for some time now and I am well pleased with it although I am still struggling with the setup process.
I am mainly observing the moon and taking a few photographs with my wife's Fuji Finepix compact, some of which I have posted on this forum.
My next step is to get a better camera, possibly a DSLR although it may take me some to save up for one.
If anyone on the forum can advise me on any other ways of photographing the moon I would be very happy.

Canon EOS 1000F.
Tamron 80-210mm telephoto.
Fujifinepix S1000fd.
http://coriantumr.wordpress.com/
Meade ETX 80

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Meade ETX-80AT-TC
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:16 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
A simple "other way" of taking photographs of the Moon? Some time ago I dropped into the local camera shop and bought a used Nikon Coolpix LS10 which I use on a very sturdy tripod. I use the automatic focus mode and zoom up the image and and then use the exposure compensation facility until the brightness on the screen is reduced enough to show detail of the maria. I then carefully take a number of photographs adjusting the compensation each time. Of the dozen or so shots I can generally find one or two "good ones". I scrap the rest and take the "memory" into the local "Boots" and print off perhaps a 5x7. Job done! This simple techniques only works well with the Moon, and although very fine details are not captured , all the main craters etc can be seen on the compete Moon. The most important bit is to use a very sturdy tripod!
I know that some people do say that these could be "improved" by putting the photographs into a computer programme but really I would rather not spend ages "computering"- the computer in the camera and in shop's printer does enough for me!
The results are much better than my previous method of snapping the Moon with a small camera (or even a mobile phone - I do not have one of these!) at the eyepiece of a spotting scope for example. And of course one does not even need a telescope! regards maf

Profile Send private message