It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:54 am

Post subject: getting into it
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 pm 

Hi can you suggest any basic beginner books on astronomy please? I looked at a free online beginner course called Astronomy state of the Art, it sounds good but i don't feel i learn by doing courses and i can't be bothered with online chat, chatting to students that know more than i do. It takes a long time for information to sink in, i've suffered head injury. I thought that a beginners book would help me to grasp the facts.

Ash

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: getting into it
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:34 am 

Good morning Ash,

Welcome to the SPA and the wonderful world of Astronomy. You are in good hands here.

There are plenty of books for beginners. And website's too.

http://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astro ... -beginners

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-information/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Starga ... 1ZN3PQEY9S

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STARGAZING-BEG ... 1ZN3PQEY9S

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/
http://pabastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2018/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:09 am 

Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West
Removed by author.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:07 am 

DO NOT waste money on buying books, all you need to do is google

FREE PDF astronomy books download

Also DONT waste money on subscribing to the magazine sky at night, if you google and search, it is genuinely available FIVE issues for £5 and just renew that every five months

https://www.buysubscriptions.com/print/ ... lsrc=aw.ds

It amazes me people who still pay full price for car insurance, home, and magazines and even now don't learn what the internet is all about, finding the best prices.

http://www.astropublishing.com/2FAM2018 ... AM2018.pdf

You obviously have a computer, YOUTUBE

google learning astronomy

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:29 pm 

Some astronomy books are nice to have in the flesh, rather than as a glowing image on a screen. Some readers like the cosiness, scent and tactile feel of a book. Many books of interest, including astronomical, have been removed from public library shelves here.
There seems to be too much dependency on digitally-stored information. What if somebody pulls the plug, metaphorically speaking? This happened at the local library this morning, when all the computers crashed and were unavailable for hours.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:15 pm 

I too am rather uneasy about all the information now online and taken for granted - even taking over from more traditional methods like books. The next big Coronal Mass Ejection to hit Earth will likely cause a great deal of mischief with computer systems and storage media,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:25 pm 

Brian wrote:
I too am rather uneasy about all the information now online and taken for granted - even taking over from more traditional methods like books. The next big Coronal Mass Ejection to hit Earth will likely cause a great deal of mischief with computer systems and storage media,

I suppose you were concerned when Robert Trevithick* invented the steam train or those danged horseless carriages took to the streets :) :) :)

*(NOT R L Stevenson, Richard Trevithick (1771 – 1833) is credited with inventing the first high-pressure steam engine and the first operational steam locomotive at the turn of the 19th century. Trevithick was born in the mining district of Cornwall, England in 1771.)

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:29 pm 

brian livesey wrote:
Some astronomy books are nice to have in the flesh, rather than as a glowing image on a screen. Some readers like the cosiness, scent and tactile feel of a book. Many books of interest, including astronomical, have been removed from public library shelves here.
There seems to be too much dependency on digitally-stored information. What if somebody pulls the plug, metaphorically speaking? This happened at the local library this morning, when all the computers crashed and were unavailable for hours.

And there are many who either can not afford them at £16 average or would rather not pay£5 for a magazine FREE on the internet and spend money on their scopes instead

And we could have a heart attack tomorrow, be invaded by aliens, or WW3, and who uses libraries these days anyway, I am 60 and never did, screaming kids etc, and let us remember the people who can not get out, disabled, blind, deaf, house bound, who do access all online, are they to be denied.

Give me free access to information any time, 24/7 when I want it, not just opening times, travel, parking problems, queues this is 2018 not 1918 :) :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

Always loved "Collins". Quality products jammed with information. You don't say whether you are interested solely in the science of astronomy or observing, although many astronomy books, including this one, cover both.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Stars- ... 0007424426

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:06 pm 

[
I suppose you were concerned when Robert Trevithick* invented the steam train or those danged horseless carriages took to the streets :) :) :)

Hee-hee! :D

Seriously though, I think it is only wise to make knowledge available in as many durable formats as possible, in order that future generations will have access to it irrespective of whatever disasters befall mankind. For instance, if Isaac Newton had published Principia on a (steam-powered? :) ) computer disk would we have that disk now, or even be able to read it if we had? I think not somehow.

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:56 am 

Books, I am pro-books! Some are expensive although it is often possible to pick up for perhaps £2 many reasonable secondhand astronomy /skywatching books from charity shops. The pleasure is often in the browsing! The highstreet shop 'The Works' often has such books which are remainders and not secondhand/used for £5, when originally perhaps three or four times that! Computers can be a useful tool for access to new information but can also be devilishly frustrating especially if they go wrong. Give me a star atlas or a guide book any day rather that the electronic screen! Regards maf (the Luddite)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:31 am 

Regards the library service. For a time the Foredown Tower (where I was employed - basically a museum) did come under the same directorship as the libraries. To become more inclusive (a buzzword!) and to increase the footfall (another buzzword!) all kinds of extras were added to the remit of libraries. The ' Silence ' notices disappeared, mother and baby groups encouraged 'baby boogies' , dressing up in historical costumes, etc etc. There was a plan to enccourage graffiti as if there was not enough plastered around the back streets of Brighton as it was. The reference section of the library also included the local history library. This local history section was later hived off (with all my camera obscura, time ball and astronomy group records that I passed on to them) to a more distant and more difficult to get to building.There is ongoing battle to save the old Hove Library from being closed or being relocated. It is, of course, all about saving money reducing staff costs and with that, the loss of the dedication and expertise of the staff. That's all folks! What more can I say. Regards maf.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:35 am 

mike a feist wrote:
Books, I am pro-books! Some are expensive although it is often possible to pick up for perhaps £2 many reasonable secondhand astronomy /skywatching books from charity shops. The pleasure is often in the browsing! The highstreet shop 'The Works' often has such books which are remainders and not secondhand/used for £5, when originally perhaps three or four times that! Computers can be a useful tool for access to new information but can also be devilishly frustrating especially if they go wrong. Give me a star atlas or a guide book any day rather that the electronic screen! Regards maf (the Luddite)

Yes there is that i agree, we have a shop in carmarthen free books, I often get new and up to date books on astronomy there and give my magazines to them

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 am 

mike a feist wrote:
Regards the library service. For a time the Foredown Tower (where I was employed - basically a museum) did come under the same directorship as the libraries. To become more inclusive (a buzzword!) and to increase the footfall (another buzzword!) all kinds of extras were added to the remit of libraries. The ' Silence ' notices disappeared, mother and baby groups encouraged 'baby boogies' , dressing up in historical costumes, etc etc. There was a plan to enccourage graffiti as if there was not enough plastered around the back streets of Brighton as it was. The reference section of the library also included the local history library. This local history section was later hived off (with all my camera obscura, time ball and astronomy group records that I passed on to them) to a more distant and more difficult to get to building.There is ongoing battle to save the old Hove Library from being closed or being relocated. It is, of course, all about saving money reducing staff costs and with that, the loss of the dedication and expertise of the staff. That's all folks! What more can I say. Regards maf.

GREAT comments.

I took photographs of Camberley in the 70s, when I was "young" I had a Praktica Super TL and went all over by foot, photographing EVERYTHING from the railway to houses, in 2014 I put them all on DVD and sent them to Camberley Library, who passed them to the Council, I called 6 months later, they had been BINNED.

The images showed everything from people to long gone shops and even the Police station and Newspaper buildings.

I WOULD use a library, but I have no love of kids running round out of control when I am there, inclusiveness EXCLUDES as many people as it tries to include then fails

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:24 am 

As you say Skyhawk, screaming children in libraries are excruciating, but so are loud-mouthed ( and foul-mouthed ) adults, who barge in to play games on the computers. To them, libraries are no more than amusement arcades; some of them terrorise library staff.
Many of the libraries here have closed their quiet reading rooms, or converted them for group activities. In the absence of a quiet environment, conducive to study, the students have fled.
Regarding books in concreto versus books in abstracto, it's a question of balance. The best books that I have are on the shelf as constant companions, and the rest relegated to the glowing screen.

Last edited by brian livesey on Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.