It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:31 am

Post subject: Re: getting into it
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:16 am 

brian livesey wrote:
As you say Skyhawk, screaming children in libraries are excruciating, but so are loud-mouthed ( and foul-mouthed ) adults, who barge in to play games on the computers. To them, libraries are no more than amusement arcades; some of them terrorise library staff.
Many of the libraries here have closed their quiet reading rooms, or converted them for group activities. In the absence of a quiet environment, conducent to study, the students have fled.
Regarding books in concreto versus books in abstracto, it's a question of balance. The best books that I have are on the shelf as constant companions, and the rest relegated to the glowing screen.

I don't disagree, as I said I used to use a library but I have enough of screaming children and mothers (mainly women, rarely see Fathers), who can not control them (oh and I was and am a single father of three autistic sons). the do gooders ruined libraries when they turned into playgrounds for all ages.

I rarely used libraries when younger but when I did it was a pleasure to get a book, (when 12 on, YES Astronomy) and sit in what I considered an adult, grown up, environment and read.

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:18 pm 

If you are looking after three sons, with or without autism, you deserve a medal Skyhawk.
Can you confirm that digitally-recorded information decays over time and has to be redone in thirty or so years?
If so, compare this with the longevity of beautifully illuminated manuscripts, on quality vellum, that have survived from medieval times.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:05 pm 

brian livesey wrote:
If you are looking after three sons, with or without autism, you deserve a medal Skyhawk.
Can you confirm that digitally-recorded information decays over time and has to be redone in thirty or so years?
If so, compare this with the longevity of beautifully illuminated manuscripts, on quality vellum, that have survived from medieval times.

Technically Digital anything can not degrade, ever, what does degrade is the medium it is stored on.

I have CDs that are from the 80s as many do and they are fine so in reply NO they do not have to be done every thirty years.

Also CF, SD and other cards are fine, it depends on luck, how they are stored etc, and remember it is more likely that how we retrieve the data, computers, backwards compatible devices will change and not be able to read old date, rather than the data become corrupted.

And..... take MO disks, which I use, look at the cover, NO one would trust one but, the day is almost here when silicone storage will be available, did you know that all of the books in the world could be stored on one grain of sand

Note the "lasts UPTO 1000 years"............. just like sales in shops "Upto 50% off" go in and try and find something at 50% off :) :) :), I enjoy going in and asking to be shown something at 50% off, blasted confuses the assistants

Attachments:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg [ 148.84 KiB | Viewed 1868 times ]

Celestron 8" Edge HD Evolution, Esprit 120mm triplet, 72mm APO, Sky Tee 2, 6" reflecting scope, William Optics Binoviewer, Quark Daystar Ha Chromosphere on 72mm ED, LVW8mm eyepiece and Celestron 19mm Axiom, matched W.O 10 and 20mm, and a few others, D4s, D810,

For info, I am Autistic, Aspergers, ADHD, therefore if I come over as a little "short" on occasions it is not intended, thank you

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:11 pm 

MO disks, transparent, NO backing, ink, layers to degrade

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

People still think in the past that data storage degrades. I use these as I am a professional photographer and Journalist and they store all my images. I also transferred all my sons videos when they were children 20 years ago to them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/InkJet-Millenn ... disc&psc=1

Attachments:
20180719_180103[1].jpg
20180719_180103[1].jpg [ 239.63 KiB | Viewed 1867 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:18 pm 

brian livesey wrote:

Thanks, their mother walked out on them at 7,6 and 4, Stephen 23 has not seen here since, it isn't just me that are bad parents but we always get the blame :), they are between them also special needs, partial deafness, learning difficulties, PTSD and dual personality disorder.

I WOULDN'T SWAP MY LIFE FOR ANYTHING. :) :) :)

Remembering that I didn't know I was also Autistic at the time (just diagnosed last month)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:17 pm 

Not heard of MO disks until today. Stopped taking PC magazines about 15 years ago :lol:

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:20 am 

Brian wrote:
Not heard of MO disks until today. Stopped taking PC magazines about 15 years ago :lol:

You don't still use CDs do you ;) ;) ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:22 pm 

I still have tapes and CDs and the equipment to play them. why discard items that still work perfectly well? Maybe it's because I grew up during wartime rationing, when little was wasted.
When the means to play them are worn out, there'll be a logical reason to discard the tapes and CDs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:10 pm 

Quote:

I'm using USB hard-drives and solid state storage these days. 64GB on something the size of my thumbnail works for me,

254mm LX90 on Superwedge, WO ZS66SD, Helios 102mm f5 on EQ1, Hunter 11x80, Pentax 10x50
ASI120MC Toucam Pros 740k/840k/900nc mono, Pentax K110D
Ro-Ro roof shed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:55 pm 

Brian wrote:
Quote:

I'm using USB hard-drives and solid state storage these days. 64GB on something the size of my thumbnail works for me,

The total storage capacity of my internal/external units SSD, HD and NAS drives is 27Tb, and I remember when Windows 3.1 came on 7 flexible (NOT floppy, that is a misnoma) disks and 95 on 13.

My first hard drive was at Heathrow and a Winchester 5Mb partitioned into 5.