work as astronomer

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

rossmack05

work as astronomer

Post by rossmack05 »

hi all

can any one help me ?
i would like work as Astronomer but right now i am study be computer engineer . do computer and astronomer go together and is there any place i can study Astronomy degree . i have join club in Astronomy
Deimos

Post by Deimos »

Given you have already selected a subject for study and are looking to change, maybe one worthwhile question is; if you got a job as an astronomer what do you think the job would involve (i.e. what would you be spending your working days/nights doing).

Maybe have a think about the organisations who employ astronomers and what they would be looking for you to do/achieve at different stages of your career in astronomy (it might be that as a newly qualified astronomer your duties would differ from those when you have been in the discipline for 30 years).

I'm not trying to be positive or negative and can make no comments about the day to day work carried out by most astronomers (as I am not a professional astronomer) - but think asking yourself such questions might be worthwhile before changing your studies.

Ian
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

[This post is from davej]

Hi
There are many sites here...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=astron ... =firefox-a
ATB
Dave
joe
Site Admin

Post by joe »

Rossmack,

Please don't start multiple threads on the same subject. It will be impossible to have a sensible discussion if no one knows which one to post in. I've deleted the others with apologies to those who answered.
200mm Newtonian, OMC140, ETX90, 15x70 Binoculars.
KendalAstronomer

Post by KendalAstronomer »

The computer guy in charge of UCL's astrophysics group managed to get a phd through some stuff he was doing supporting the group, so yes you can convert to professional astronomy, so long as you find a group willing and able to use your skills to their advantage. Other channels could include doing a diploma in astronomy, using that and your degree to go on to do a masters and then follow the standard academic route thereafter.