Spring Moonwatch write up from last weekend

Astronomically-related chat

Moderators: joe, Brian, Guy Fennimore

Kaustav

Spring Moonwatch write up from last weekend

Post by Kaustav »

My wife and I attended our first Spring Moonwatch event even last weekend and enjoyed it immensely. I thought I'd do a write up of the event so that others, who couldn't make it, could find out a little more about what happened at the event. I hope you enjoy the write up.

There are two more days of Spring Moonwatch this Friday and Saturday at the Ruislip Lido. If anyone lives in the area and wants to encourage others to come along, do feel free to use my write up as encouragement for others to attend.
Kaustav Bhattacharya
>> http://kaustav.uk.com/unisphere/ - An online magazine about Astronomy, Science, Social Media and Society.
>> Follow me on Twitter @jupiterorbit
mike a feist
Location: Portslade, Sussex Lat 50deg 51min Long 0deg 13mins West

Post by mike a feist »

Foredown Tower Astronomers ran a couple of events during the weekend about the Moon, to run with IYA2009. On Saturday there was a slide show about Man on the Moon by one member and on the Sunday I gave a talk on the Surface of the Moon (No I was not actually on the Moon!). An attempt to actually look at the crescent Moon started at about 6.30 pm with a mad rush to set up some telescopes as a huge black cloud began to creep southwards and everyone present managed a quick look brefore we desperately put it all away expecting a downpour...which did not happen! Attendance count overall, members & visitors, was 77,,,so jolly good. We also had the local MP and a Dalek (made by a member...he only made the Dalek not the politician!).The group will be having events throughout the summer on one sunday afternoon per month.....except in August. In that month a very special event is to be organised to celebrate, not the IYA, but the 100 year aniversary of the contruction of the Foredown Tower. maf